The Case of the Stolen Bag of Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by tjgray, Apr 4, 2005.

1. tjgray

tjgray LawnSite Senior Member

This was so darn sad it was funny and I just had to share.

Yesterday while on route a bag of fertilizer fell out of my husbands truck. As he was turning around to get it he noticed a man drive up and snatch it up. When my husband yelled out the window "Hey, hey thats mine!" the guy jumped back in his car and hauled butt.......

He got his license plate number and although we are tempted to report him we will probably let the thief get away with this one. I am not sure how I would even go about it if we did.....*yes officer he stole a bag of fertilizer that we dropped on the road :laugh: *
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Ok Tara, I have to ask this: why wasn't the bag of fertilizer secured?
  3. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

If you got his plate numbers.. perhaps you have a friend at the DMV that can look up an address so that you can leave him a flaming bag of a different kind of fertilizer on his doorstep.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i think u would have gotten a ticket for littering lol :waving:
  5. Planter

Planter LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Yes, if they choose to do it. Here the charge is failure to secure load and on any load that is commercial, i.e., not homeowner the fine is $1,000. My kid lost a $1200 tool from this boss's masonary company and got the ticket. Never found the tool either.
  6. tjgray

I am not sure how the bag of fertilizer became un-secured :confused: but I think ya'll are right......we would have gotten a ticket and the thief would have gotten away :dizzy:
  7. SoloMow

SoloMow LawnSite Member

Isn't this a great country? A thief stole your bag of fertilizer and you end up looking like a criminal! :cool:
  8. tjgray

Yep tis is a crazy world solo :dizzy:

When my husband first told me what had happened I couldn't believe it.....I mean come on someone actually stopped their vehicle in the road and took the time to pick up a bag of fertilizer and then take off in a hurry with the goods when they hear my husband yelling at them *it's a bag of fertilizer for goodness sake :laugh:*

But then with the feedback I got here I realized that if you think about it the situation could have been serious and it became a little less funny to me. It is my husbands job to make sure he maintains his load and well as much as we try to do a good job he failed to do so with securing the fert.

The way I see it my husband is just as responsible as the thief.

I believe that every incident in life can be taken as a learning experience. So we take what happened, be a little more sure of securing our chemicals in the future, and be real thankful the situation didn't turn out worse :)

Hope everyones day went is 8pm and still daylight :D

Don't you just love when the days are longer payup
  9. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

haha, you got that right

Thats like them people who die of obesity, and suddenly its all mcdonald's fault!
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Woulda been REALLY funny if it would have just HAPPENED to be a Dept. of Ag. guy (or whoever has jurisdiction in your state) that would have been driving by right then and there.

And then REALLY REALLY funny if it would have happened while your husband was driving over a bridge, in a rainstorm, while the "officer" happened to be right then and there, and the bag ripped open and fell into the river.

BUT, since it didn't happen that way, it's not nearly as funny.