The Change

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gator-town, May 24, 2004.

1. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

I just changed the oil and filter in my 19 Kawi 20 hours ago and it is already looks like it needs changing again ... is this normal since I run it wide open as the manual recommends ... would there be any other reason for the oil to appear dirty as it runs great ... are there any problems that you have heard of with the 19 Kawi that would cause a this ... just curious when you guys change the oil in your rigs ... do you schedule per hours of use or is there some unwritten rule to follow ... thanks for your help .

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I always run some oil threw the motor to get all the old out. I worked at an oil change place and they would try to sell this to all the customers and we did was run 2 or 3 quarts of oil threw the engine till it came out clean and charge an extra 59.99 It really helps in my opinion, i do it to my truck and the oil looks fresh even after 3000 miles.

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Yep...oil is just picking up the older oil that gets stuck in there.

4. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Are you changing the filter every time? If not then thats it for sure. I change the oil and filter in my 16 hp walker about every 90 hrs and it stays fresh looking till around hour 50 or 60.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have never noticed a problem before. I change mine about every 100 hours.

6. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Use synthetic!!!!!!!!!

7. sharpcutter

sharpcutter LawnSite Member

Its funny to read this, just changed thr oil in all my mowers tonight. I change mine every 50 hours including the filter. When I change it, I drain the oil, put the new filter on, put new oil in it, run it full throttle for about 15 minutes to get it real hot, then drain oil again and put new in. Its amazing how dirty the oil comes out when flushing with some clean oil. Makes you wonder how much gunk is left in other peoples car or truck when you dont flush it out at every oil change.

8. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

I never change the oil without a new filter ... no matter the engine size and type ... sounds like flushing with fresh oil is the answer to purging the old oil ... will give it a try ... thanks for all the hits and good replys .