The Chart?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ocean Side, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Ocean Side

Ocean Side LawnSite Member

Hello everyone, I am looking for a mowing time chart. A chart that would show deck size, mowing speed and size of the area to be cut and the time that the cut would take, not including trimming, edging, and blowing. Does anyone have one out there that they can post? I am sure that this would be a big help to others as well. Thanks

2. I knew someone who had one but he used his mowers and a stopwatch and timed his mowers for his conditions, a more accurate way.

3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

You would think that would be a simple tool industry professionals (dealers etc.)would use for marketing, but when it comes to our industry seems most are in the dark ages.

4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I made somhting like that on a spreadsheet back in college for farm machinery

Use ground speed and effective width times a miltiplier like 60,80,or95% depending on how long of a run you could go before turing around.
    Let me try this. My algebra is a bit rusty

width in ft. * miles / hr * ft. / mile = sq ft / hr in a straight line at 100% effeciency. Someone else can help with the effeciency numbers.

5. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Scag.com and look under produtivity.That should help some.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Most Mower brochures have one in the back.

7. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

I got this off of landscapemanagement.com.

Knowing the production possibilities of each piece of equipment is critical to estimate the manhours necessary to mow a given area. A simple formula that can help you determine this is to multiply the mph ground speed of the unit by the width of cut in inches and divide by 120. Why 120? We're basing mowing production on 80% productivity, which allows for overlaps, turns and differences in terrain.

for and Ex:

My mower is 60in and mows at 13mph but I'm not mowing at 13mph maybe around 10 or 11mph.

11mph X 60in divide by 120 = 5.5 acres per hour

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Give me your deck width (inches), the typical overlap (inches), and a speed range (say 2.0 to 6.0, or whatever). I have a program to develop a chart for various mowing speeds (0.5 mph increments) and efficiencies (100% down to 50%, 10% increments). I can make any chart you wish, but need a couple of pieces of data from you - I wrote a program a few years ago to develop such a chart.