The Chemlawn objection

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Can I Mow Your Lawn?, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Can I Mow Your Lawn?

Can I Mow Your Lawn? LawnSite Member

When I started out in January of 2003, I CONSTANTLY got the "we are already under contract with Chemlawn" objection.

Well, sometime between then and now, Congress passed the anti-telemarketing bill.

Now days, selling the chemical plan along with the lawn mowing is usually as simple as just remembering to pitch it. EVERYONE in my town has weeds. All I have to do is ask them when they call, "do you have weeds?" I already know the answer before I even ask it.

Selling chemical used to be a real long shot back in the beginning. But now days, it's like taking candy from a baby...at least in the spring time.

Anyone else noticing this?

Later,
    Can I Mow Your Lawn?

2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

How's your pricing? Similar to their's?

3. Can I Mow Your Lawn?

Probably not much difference in prices. I may be slightly lower but they seldom object over price. Usually, it's either they are too cheap to pay for chemical service altogether or they are with another provider of service. Otherwise, they're taking it if I offer it.

I WOULD raise prices for chemical treatments if it weren't for one low-balling piece of schit competitor who blankets the entire northern metroplex advertising $29 applications. I've seen his lawns and if he's applying any nitrogen at all, it's hard to tell. They are not green. He keeps his costs down with low nitrogen costs and forces EVERYONE around him to compete with $29 applications.

I called the SOB last year and told him, plain and simple, he's leaving LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of money on the table. I was optimistic he actually listened but I just got one of his door hangers with $29 on my door yesterday. He continues to piss in the pool that we all must swim in.

But yes, he is the ONLY reason I don't add another $10 to all my application quotes. I think the market would tolerate this price EASILY but if they remember they're paying $49 with me and he comes through advertising $29 the risk of a cancellation is too great. I am getting away with $39 but I think a $49 vs $29 difference would be too much.

Later,
    Can I Mow Your Lawn?

4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I charge more than everyone else around.

Some people drive Caddies and some drive Kias.

5. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I'll tell you about selling on price. The price will alway dictate the consumers buying habits. The way around the price is simple. Ask them how many applications they are recieving compared to how many you are providing and then compare it to your yearly total to his. Often the 29 dollar firms make it up by offering 7 or 8 applications, with at least 2 of them being a cheap grade of nitrogen. When they call you becasue of their crapola lawn then ask them to allow you to show them the difference of what price buys.

6. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like he likes working for 29 bucks lol

7. Can I Mow Your Lawn?

I always explain the number of apps if they are already with a competitor. We do 6, everyone else does 8. The biggest selling point is that we coordinate the application date with the mow date...we always ensure we have at least a couple days of growth before we make the application...that way, we can spot treat nutsedge without having to come back and charge a separate fee.

Bottom line is, people don't remember that schit. I talk to my clients, maybe once or twice a year. That's it. They remember things like price and everyone assumes a service is a service. If I'm at $49 when they get a door hanger for $29, there is a chance of cancellation.

Next year, I may experiment with higher prices on the chemical treatments and see how it goes.

Later,
    Can I Mow Your Lawn?

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Kind of how I do it. I tell the potential customer that I can provide the same (or more) nutrients to their turf in 5 apps compared to 7+ by using slow release products. Then I go on to tell them the positives of slow release vs the negatives of quick release. I usually only have a few customers that I need to educate like this as most are from referrals.