The "Chirp"...Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by greeneakers04, May 13, 2005.

1. greeneakers04

greeneakers04 LawnSite Member

I have been debating back and forth over what cell phone service to get for my wife and I (mine will be for lawn business purposes also). I really want Nextel, I have heard great things about them, but they seem to be quite higher in price than their competitors. What are you getting for the extra $$? Is the chirp (Direct Connect) worth having? What is the biggest advantage to it, and how is it better than a mobile-to-mobile service?

Note: Don't suggest Verizon or Alltel. Bad experiences.

2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

We will be switching from Nextel to Ntelos. We will save about $160 per mo. and get unlimited calling.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

For people who can't stand to not get a call, and need to be in constant contact with people, it's necessary. I see people with these things talking to each other all the time, about basically nothing, and I don't get it. My only thought is they HAVE to be able to be in contact with people constantly. I don't. In fact, I hate answering my phone. I didn't even consider getting nextel. I also think it's for people who have a large group of people they talk to all the time, and if everyone has that, it's easier to stay in contact. If you're just calling people now and then, or getting calls in from potential customers, waste of money, imo.

4. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I hate nextel. Customer service is horrible and I don't even get service in my own house. Yet for some reason I still send them $50 a month

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Nextel is crap no rollovers

6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

nextel SUCKS. we are switching to verizon after 6 years of nextel garbage... im not a huge customer but my company phone bill is like 1500.00 a month, and i get treated like crap at nextel. the phones suck, the service sucks, customer service sucks... the only good thing about nextel is the unlimited plan i pay $150.00 a month for unlimited 2 way, cell phone service, internet, etc.. other than that im getting rid of nextel...

7. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had nextel for 5 years now and would never consider getting another service. I have had some dropped call problems but that is ok with me. The two way is a life saver. When I only need a little info or something quick I just beep up the other person. Bettween our two companies we have about 10 or so phones and it saves time and makes things much easyer.