1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The cleaning lady gets me a job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Apr 3, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Went to do an estimate the other morning. Lady wants fert.
    I gave her my price. She says I'm 30 bucks higher per app than ChemLawn. I said, "are you happy with how your lawn looks?" She stalls and says, "no". At this time, I see a lady coming out of the house. "Matt is that you? I thought I recognized the voice." I say, "Hi Marie, just giving the lady here an estimate, but she says I'm too high." Marie says, "Pauline, you won't regret going with Matt. He does excellent work. You should have him cut your grass too." So the lady asks how much. I tell her. She says I'm 5 bucks higher than her cutter. Marie says, "I'm telling you Pauline, you won't regret going with Matt. So she says, "ok, you got the job this year. My husband probably won't be happy, but I make the decisions around here." Marie says, "You sure do Pauline."
    I don't think I would have got that job if the cleaning lady wasn't there. Just never can tell what will make you land a job or not.

2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats pretty funny. Maybe you should give your cleaning lady a bonus next week.
  3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I read your story and it sounds all too familiar to me. Its amazing how much work you find yourself getting from referrels and people you know.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If I gave the cleaning lady a 'bonus', I don't think Jodi would like that too much. :laugh:

5. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

:D :p
  6. grassredneck

grassredneck LawnSite Member

If you do a good job, and you obviously do, You'll get more and more of those situations, I was in sales for a long time and people are typically much more observant than I/we give them credit for
  7. celltech

celltech LawnSite Member

1MajorTom - that is great. That is how I hope to grow my business. Maybe the cleaning lady can go with you, especially if she knows the people, to other estimates. seriously, do her lawn for free (or a good discount).
    OFF THE SUBJECT - I was in the militay for 8 years, and for some reason (well obvious if you were in the military) I get a little chuckle everytime I see 1MajorTom and Jodi. Just make me laugh! But saw another post by Jodi and your guys lawn looks GRRRREEEEEEEEAAAAATT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep up the great work!

8. Blade O Grass

Blade O Grass Banned
    from NC

OK, so I am guessing that you know this maid. Just because it was a woman you had a higher price? Maybe I just mis understand the situation. Sounds like a great sales pitch and you snagged the job for a higher rate. Maybe I am just dingy!
  9. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

Well none , now just do a good job! I'm sure you will.

I have had 3 regular customers thank to 2 cleaning ladys recomending me. I find that if they need a cleaning lady they need a gardner too. Not because of the size of the grounds sometimes but due to young children, busy life styles.
  10. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

You should ask the cleaning lady for her schedule, and follow her around all day giving bids!