The Clothes Make The Man...and The Landscaper

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey RJ you in top shape :waving::waving:

2. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly! hell if the guy on the left does a sloppy job and isn't doing what should be done, but the guy on the right does a real good job and what he should be. I'd hire him shirt or no shirt.

3. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah I do think quality is much more important than having a company uniform. I'd much rather hire the hillbilly with no shirt, shorts and crocks if his quality was better than the guy with a business suit on.

4. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

Generally speaking the hillbilly guy will show up when he's good & ready. Even people that work from home will tell ya that it creates an organized state of mind by dressing up & getting out of the jammy's.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. LawnMan19

Yes! I feel the same way and me and my guys can match and look professional but you still have to do a great job every time. Just because you dress well it won't excuse you if you don't deliver a quality product.

6. LawnMan19

Yes, generally speaking that is the case but I can think of two companies of the top of my head that sometimes depending on the weather I've seen shirtless once or twice that still do a very good job, show up the same time every week. And do a better job than some of the ones that wear shirts and match. I believe it has more to do with work ethic, and who's in charge of them.

7. adam.neusbaum

I'm speaking from experience. If I had this smartphone 16 years back I'd offer my own shirtless & brown UPS work shorts wardrobe pics. All 124 accounts were billed from memory on a get around to it door knock basis. Years after I folded the mowing business a friend who was a helper at the time has his own 160 accounts & every aspect is well organized including his 2 full time employees having company shirts. Night & Day difference between our strategy. Btw, his guys are at the same houses the same days of the week at relatively the same time. Uniforms are a trickle down effect from good management.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Generally speaking, the business owner who has his crews in uniform, will be the one to pay closer attention to detail and do a better job. :closed

9. zechstoker

zechstoker LawnSite Senior Member

My uncle saw me one day in my work clothes, and asked if I just got out of church. Not sure if it was because the dark grey pants with the permanent crease, or the white long sleeve button-up shirt. I typically don't wear the long sleeves though. My everyday work shirts are white short sleeves with the button-up collar. Still looks just as professional, and doesn't cause a sweat fest during the warmer months.

Note: I know that's not a white shirt I'm wearing in my avatar... The blue long sleeve was just on that day to protect me in the dust storm I was dealing with in a client's backyard.

10. adam.neusbaum

Even the convenient stores require us to wear shirts & hey we're the paying customer. Their 3 S's: No Shirt, no shoes no service. Here in Florida they admonish shirts by saying how the heat of the cancer lazer is way hotter than clothing.
    Posted via Mobile Device