The Clothes Make The Man...and The Landscaper

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Feb 14, 2013.

1. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I think these post are funny. There is no right or wrong answer and you want to impress people with your way of doing business. I go back to business class I took in college, do what makes you happy and you will be successful. Sam Walton drove an old truck and they have the cheapest semi's on the road, with the ugliest painted trailers, ugliest buildings with no decorations on the inside of their business and are really successful. JCPenny, Target are the opposite. So who is the winner.

2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ya but walmart is low ballers

UPS has well dressed people and shiney trucks and they have been around longer than wally world.

3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

IMO if you go shirt less you better look like a fitness model and pretty close to being ripped. So unless you got the goods spare us all the visual abuse. I only mow my own lawn shirt less and since I'm 1/3 mile off the main road....few will be bothered. I'm not a fitness model and never will be but I'm a cardio runners high addict. :(

In the original pic at least he's not wearing basketball shorts which to me scream total slacker unprofessional.

Side note* Not trying to be mean spirited but in years past low rise jeans where popular on the young ladies and unfortunately many....okay far too many didn't get the memo on please no hip and belly flab hanging over your low rise waist and please wear something to cover that up.

I think just applying the golden rule is good. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

My work attire: Any t-shirt with a pocket, carhartt cargo pants or jeans, boots, and my safety vest with my company name embroided on the back, which my worker wears also.

When he first started he liked to wear shorts, I didn't have a problem, but he learned pretty quick why I always wear pants, and never shorts when at work.

5. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

Um....There is risk of attracting possible unwanted attention from the same ...if you get my drift. Hey what floats a persons boat but even if my upper body was fitness model class I would not want to be picking up on that vibe...

Occasionally I mow for someone who is in this camp and I'm not being judgmental but I don't like that vibe eminating in my direction.

Funny...back when I lived in an apartment this granny neighbor must of thought I was hot stuff. She'd toss me apples and peaches from the second story and if she was close she'd grab me and she couldn't keep her mits off me... It was awkward. Really.

So just saying ....you might attract unwanted attention.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. christw

christw LawnSite Member
    from pa

WHere did you go to order your shirts

7. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

My work wardrobe consists of the following:
    (5) identical 100% polyester solid-colored golf shirts
    (5) identical pairs of jeans
    (5) identical pairs of khaki cargo shorts
    (1) pair work boots
    (1) baseball hat
    Socks and underwear vary.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

8. christw

christw LawnSite Member
    from pa

Where did you goto to get the shirts?

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Academy Sports

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

didn't take the time to look up the actual poster or post but the best one in this thread was the one that said you have to dress and look according to your profession.

we are outside all day working in the cold and heat. dealing with grass, dirt, mulch, leaves, snow, plants, wood, etc we sweat. if we are working hard and doing a quality job and have our schedules full we are bound to be a little dirty throughout the day and shouldn't have time to clean up before an estimate.

my opinion of a guy who showed up to give me a lawn estimate in khakis and polo with not a spot on them and smelled fresh and clean is either

a) he doesn't actually do the work, he's just the guy who goes around all day and does estimates and is possibly the owner.

b) he must not be very busy because he had time to shower and change clothes before coming here.

at any rate I don't think people expect LCO's to be wearing shirts and ties to do there work or estimates. it's expected they'd have jeans and t shirts covered in grease, dirt and grass stains. hell I don't even show up in khakis and polos when giving an estimate on rain days. in fact on rain days I don't even have a company t shirt on. if I'm nit working due to the rain I'm giving estimates in the clothes I plan on wearing for the day. normally jeans and some sort of t shirt that either has star wars stuff on it or some other logo of some type.