The Clothes Make The Man...and The Landscaper

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Sean Adams, Feb 14, 2013.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the problem, you think people are just like you! Working holidays, sundays etc. etc. No reguard for neighbors or others in general because you dont care. Never thinking of the future, just the now becuase you are happy to stay solo, living in your parents basement and playing xbox.

Oh and you dont have a full schedule because you melt in the rain.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

the only thing that melts in the rain is sugar and we both know I'm not that sweet.

I just live the golden rule in everything I do GMLC. treat others as you would want to be treated. it has nothing to do with assuming everyone is like me. in fact I know there are few people like me. this very website proves it. look how many disagree with me. I can count on 1 hand the amount of users who have actually agreed with me or who do things similar to the way I do things.

3. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Business 101 on apparel. Does the surgeon show up in a 3 piece suit to do the surgery? Very few LCO;s can even come close to a Doctors pay that does surgerys. The list goes on and on. So what does it matter, dress the part that you want and be done with it. If it works for some to dress in polo's and others in t-shirts so be it. I go back to the largest LCO in Tulsa, which very few knows who it is. Is in unmarked trucks, no polos shirts and mostly used equipment.

4. GMLC

You may be surprised that I also think the same as you in some ways. But the difference is I know most everyone else does not and I think outside my box. Im always improving my systems, even ones that already work well.

There is always an exception to every rule. I have made tons of mistakes in the last 15+ years. I try to help new business owners make things easier. Especially when it costs nothing to do.

But hey, if we all dressed the same these little tricks wouldnt work would they? Because I have to assume we all do great work and are hard workers. You are definatley a hard worker....
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

Shouldn't we compromise and all wear polos with cutoff sleeves?

6. GMLC

How about a polo with shorts and crocks? LOL
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. dllawson

dllawson LawnSite Member

If you wanted to show off your crack, you should have been a plumber.

8. GMLC

That is one of the perks of being a plumber!!

If I just did what I wanted, I would show up for estimates in beach wear. Flip flops and all!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i always wear shorts and a tshirt when doing estimates with sneakers. i hate flip flops.

i never do estimates while i'm out working. i wait until i'm done working and then go. that has only happened a few times in which case i just wore my same work clothes that i had been wearing all day.

most of the time people call for an estimate on saturday. i don't work on saturday so i just wear my normal everyday clothes to go do the estimate. i don't dress up for it.

10. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

see I don't do estimates on my days off unless I'm behind or I'm off because its a rain day.

so generally I do estimates mon through fri. I hit them when I'm on that side of town whatever day that is. I do get calls on weekends but I don't answer my phone when I'm off which is generally weekends and I don't return those calls until the next working day either. you call on a sat. most likely I won't be calling you back until some time mon.