The compact rider

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Willofalltrades, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Please select the compact rider you would buy with a maximum budget of $8000.

2. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry my computer messed up. Im going to try to do this again.

3. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

Wright stander. Great mower, very compact, beautiful cut, but you have to stand on it. oh yeh its FAAAST!

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

How compact are we talking? I messed with a Grasshopper 120 the other day. Neat little machine.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Wright stander, the only thing ive seen used and have gotten to use....once....but i think mowers like the Phazer are good ideas and i have been really looking into them

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

i would go phazer. i was looking into one but i got a zmaster first....

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, wondering how you are talking "compact" meaning like a little 36 to 42 inch machine, or a bigger deck on a smaller light frame?

The BEST compact machine I USE is a Dixon. I recently bought a new Mountian Kodiak. 50" cut, 25 hp Kohler. I have used many other brands and I am as happy as can be with this one! It's nice and light, it's easy to maneuver, and best of all, there are little to NO "blind spots" on the machine. You can readily see most of the front edge of the cutting deck and both front wheels. You can always see where you are going and what you are getting close too. There is just enough "trim" on the left side to keep the rear wheel off of things and allow very close cutting to everything, even tight curves.

8. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing "compact" means 34-44" Z's. I would go with the 34" Phazer because of the 19hp Kawasaki.

9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I have the gravely 34z. You would not beleive how much time one of these mowers would save you. There is nothing bad that I can say about it. I would also look at the exmark and dixie 34inch rider.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

We'd need to know your gate sizes first. And what kind of turf you're cutting. And also how many props have moderate and steep hills. Also, do you need to be able to mulch or bag?

If mowing more wide open flat areas the new Exmark Lazer Z HP 46" with the triton deck looks interesting. I like that the 46" will squeeze through a few more gates.

If you have delicate turf like Tall Fescue is here, the Phazer 44" is worth a look.

If you have mostly small 1/5th acre props with narrow gates, the 34" Phazer and Gravely are in the running.