The cost of redoing a pond & politics

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Niagara Falls, Sep 30, 2011.

1. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

What you all are forgetting is this isn't your company pricing the job. Could be one man could be 12 who cares. Homeowner can accept or decline, no need to get opinion from employee's husband who built a pond on the side. I just built a 10' by 15' by 3' and it took me and 3 guys 7 days with a 30ft stream.

2. nepatsfan

nepatsfan LawnSite Gold Member

If guys are getting prices that you feel are too high, why don't you quit your job and start your own business. Should be a slam dunk for you. Do everything for half price, buy a bunch of new equipment, and put the stuff up for sale in the spring when you go out.

3. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't believe that anyone has posted a comment on the price being too high. Without knowing all of the project details along with an on-site survey, no one can determine whether or not a price is realistic. So where did your comment come from? Are you pi**ed at someone?

4. nepatsfan

Here is what I am referring to tadpole.....if you know what needs to be done and you want to straighten out the contractor because you put a pond in your backyard, then just go all out and go into business for yourself and take all the work. If the homeowners feel the price is too high then go to someone else. In this business there is always gonna be someone cheaper.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe that the whole thing boils down to the fact that the OP feels that he is going to be pressured to help out because this is his wife's boss. I know from earlier posts by Niagara that there is no one within 200 miles that is really qualified in pond installation, so this contractor? may not really know as much as he needs to know. Niagara has stated that he really doesn't want to be put in the middle and is really looking for moral support on how to avoid any involvement. He, I am sure, would certainly not consider himself qualified to call himself a Pond contractor. I don't know from experience for I have always led the single life, but I have heard that wives call really exert pressure if it is something that they want done.

6. nepatsfan

fair enough but I am not sure why it would be necessary to get involved. If my wife told me something like that I would wish them good luck.... I wouldn't even contemplate speaking with their contractor. To each his own though. If I painted my house and my wifes boss got a quote from a company to paint their house with all kinds of scaffolding, I'm not going to call my wifes boss' painting contractor and tell him what equipment to use and how long it will take them to do the job. If they don't like it....move along.

7. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

Fortunately, my wife got involved and to keep the story short, they have changed their minds and are putting in a pool.