The cracked PEB and other early lessons

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Had a cracked PEB. The valve was weeping and I knew immediately it needed to be cut out but because of a very bad location the tech wanted to try a new diaphragm. I tried to convince him that if he didn't see anything obvious on the diaphragm it was a body crack and he should just accept the inevitable and replace it. Some lessons are best learned the hard way so after trying a new diaphragm which didn't solve the problem he ended up having to replace the valve anyway. Was able to show him a few tricks on replacing valves in really tight spots so all is well and a lesson learned. So this thread is a few tips on service issues.
    If PEB valves and what I call the HR-1 are weeping don't waste your time repairing it just cut it out.
    The Irritrol 205 is an irrigation superstar and should always be repaired.
    Hunter valves with SRV on the body should be cut out. For that matter any Hunter product with SR in its title should immediately be replaced.
    Keep at least one threaded valve in your truck in case you have to back one out due to lack of space or pipe.
    Keep a couple of 1" thrd by slip street ells for tight repairs.
    Learn to accept the inevitable in valve situations. Don' build kludges to get around problems. I recently undid a wiring kludge in which four valves had been wired together as two zones because the previous service guys couldn't find a faulty splice. Half my time was spent undoing their nightmare so I could find the original problem from ten years ago. Now the customer has 8 working zones instead of 6 and he was so pleased he rescheduled to have me totally renovate his system to my hearts content.

Cracked PEB.jpg
  2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

When replacing valves we dig a small hole in front of the valve box. Unscrew the solonoid, cut the poly in the hole we dug. unscrew the valve. unscrew solonoid from new valve and put duct tape over solonoid hole. Screw it back on , couple poly and wire it up.
  3. Poly world meets pvc world. If I ever ran into poly I'd dig it all up and replace it with pvc. :) I can definitely see though that poly valve replacements would be a lot easier than some of ours.
  4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Putting it in the ground is easier too. 6 or so zones goes in in under 1-1/2 hrs.Then no backfilling.
  5. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Don't come to Colorado and expect to rebuild all home systems! We use Poly after the valves as laterals here. PVC from valves back to back flow and PVC or Copper from backflow back to POC in the house. Too much expanding soil issues here that would overstress the PVC.
  6. Ferti-man

FIMCO-MEISTER, I agree that the Hunter SR valves are not good, but have not seen that much trouble with them. Whats your experience with them? Curious minds want to know. I use HPV model when I use Hunter.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

????????????? Dude you should see the shrink-swell clay I deal with. PVC holds up just fine if installed correctly.
  8. Ferti-man

Dude, I accept your assessment. Still like poly thought. More cost effective to install and easy to maintain. Would not and should not use poly for main line though. :nono: :laugh::laugh: Do you use PVC for drip lines too?
  9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Why wouldnt ya use it for a main line? Ive put in over 700 systems with poly main lines. No problems. Rotar will tell ya the same.
  10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

master valves are for people who are unsure of their Poly work up here..

Done plenty of poly main lined systems/serviced over 500 with the same..
    Never once was that an issue of concern..

We are starting up full force on Monday.

Look out for the CSR irrigation show on youtube.....
    We will discuss all the issues from New England irrigation, start up, repairing lines, heads, valves, backflow repair kits, installation from scratch, drip and a few big pressure systems.

^^^ check out the shameless plug