the craziness begins...

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by David Gretzmier, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Don M.

Don M. LawnSite Member

A ton of cheap people out there. Im sick of hearing "we did it ourselves last year and it took xxx amount of lights and 2 hours and you want $800".

We'll see how this week goes. I've got several bids to do this week. Maybe get a portfolio book together to show to customers.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Don M you have hit my thoughts on craigslist like a nail on the head.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

My Response:

No offense, but we are not decorating like you or with box store lights, we are taking your display to a whole different level...

Or

Then why did you call me if you did it in 2 hours and it was so easy?

I have more but it depends on how aggravated I get.....

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

when folks tell me about a cheaper bid I tell them to hire them. I make it simple, I am the most expensive guy out there because I have the most experience and I know what it costs to run this business. I have the insurance to do this, and I will not scrimp on training my guys when it comes to carefully putting things on a house that can burn it down. The last statement needs to be said with proper emphasis on training. mention amp meters and circuit testers to ensure that no strand or circuit is overloaded. mention the cost of insurance when you have a policy in place to protect the property and the employees that may fall off the roof.

I tell folks to hire the cheaper guy, but let them know there is a reason why they are cheap, the homowner's risk is much higher with guys who don't know what they are doing.