The curse of the 25 dollar yard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Baytownlawncare, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Baytownlawncare

Baytownlawncare LawnSite Member

Went out to bid an old man and his son-in-law that are two homes apart. The first yard I quote $50 for the yard and spray service for the flower beds. The son-in-law wants just the cut only but his yard has a big ditch and is a bigger property. I quote him $55. The old man tells me that his prior lawn service charged him just $25. I told him I don't pull out of the driveway for that. He seemed disgusted with me. I went on how I was reliable, did good work and spoke English. I then offered to cut both for $95 if they put credit card information on file with me. I was told "We will have to talk it over". I cannot imagine mowing a yard biweekly for that matter for $25 alone much less with bed service. I asked the old man where his last yard service was and he told me that they have not called them yet. I am assuming they quit or went broke. I am in a position where extra work would be nice, but I am not hungry like I was last year. Just blows my mind! :hammerhead:

2. gasracer

gasracer LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my 4th year in the business and I have never mowed for $25. either. I had one lady pull up as we were unloading for a customer and ask what I charged.I gave her my standard price and she asked if I would do it for $25.00 I said sorry but I can't. She tried to change my mind but when she realized I wouldn't she drove off. I used to find flags and door hangers on that property regular for $25 cuts. It was a empty realestate house.

3. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Wow I live in north Houston which is about a hour from Baytown and we do a ton of homes for $25. I clean out the flowerbeds to. 95% of residential would not pay $55 a cut unless it is over a acre and flower beds included. Just saying.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah you really shouldn't say things like "I don't pull out of my driveway for the price" it really makes you sound unprofessional. Just tell him the benefits of your services and ask him to keep your proposal, think it over and call you if he's interested, then move on.

5. Baytownlawncare

My minimum for biweekly is $40. I go to $32 for weekly service, $28 with a payment plan on file (mowing, edging, trimming and blowing only no flower bed work). I find it really hard to get folks to go weekly with the economy and all. These guys wanted biweekly if I did not state that. I work a week on week off so biweekly works better with my other job anyway.

6. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I love when people think that they can browbeat you down. If the numbers are just too far apart, its "sorry that's my price, here is my card if you change your mind." Some are just flat out laughable. I had a lady tell me I put her old guy out of business by being greedy and doing all the lawns in this neighborhood. I said I'm not the mafia I can't make someone sign up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

Wow all of my accounts are weekly. I only do biweekly if it is by one of my weekly accounts. I have had no problems with this "economy" and have been getting calls and new work almost daily.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Baytownlawncare

I have been getting alot of calls myself. Most folks just want biweekly. Any way, I could maybe see cutting a small postage stamp yard weekly for 25 but definitely would not offer any flower bed work with that. Best of luck to you this year.

9. fobaum

fobaum LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't do 5000 sq ft for less than $30

10. CircleC

CircleC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW

Let me try this again....why would you ever tell anyone " I dont pull out of my drive way for that"...makes you sound unprofessional.

Also, why would you tell someone you speak "english" where you speaking another language during the sale?

Sounds like you like the bi-weekly thing because of your other job...

Sometimes people just amaze me....