1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the customer that left town....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yardboyltd, Jul 31, 2002.

1. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

This year I took on a property I had maintained for 3 years. It changed hands this year from a real estate company to a guy wanting to turn the dilapidated building into a resteraunt. To the say least, he didn't have a lot business sense. Anyways, I had lot's of trouble with late payments, it was always try me next week... I always got payed so I continued...

Anyways, I could tell he was having financial trouble. One night when driving past I notice that his sign out front said "FOR SALE". Thats was about 2 months ago and the lettering quickly came down. However, he stopped showing up and I never saw anyone there. I had reason to believe he'd got financial trouble and fled town and still owed me for the last cut....... so I stopped cutting.

My father's a police officer in our fairly small town and I told him to be on the lookout for this customer so I could findout if he still needed my services or had left...

Well today my dad finally saw the door blocked open there and my dad found him inside with the lawn chopped (it had grown to over a foot tall). Good news was I got my last money for my last cut (although incomparable to some of what my commercial accounts owe me). However he told my dad that he'd been there all along, and wanted to know where we had been. He said, "I can't trust anyone in this town anymore."

Anyways, I feel bad if he's telling the truth. I think I did the right thing for me, especially since he's a shady character... We never saw him for the last two months... Anyways, I'm glad to be rid of the account, he didnt' fire me, but I don't want to deal with him anymore... Thoughts?
  2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Yep you did the right thing,better to have the check for what he owed you than be chasing him for the last 2 months mowing.If he wanted it cut why didnt he contact you.Sounds like you best well rid of him.If things look dodgy I always stop mowing until its sorted out,doesn't lose you any money that way.A much better job will turn up to replace that one,Cheers.......
  3. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

Yea, that's what I wanted to hear.. That was my thought exactly... I won't mow this property for the headaches and b.c of the image. Everyone in town probably saw this a foot high and knew it was my account.... They all thought probably that he had left town to, however if I go back to cutting it, it will look bad on my part.. Anyways, I've got enough work as it is, with the heat...