1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Day the mower died!!!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CutInEdge Lawn Care, May 21, 2006.

1. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What a sad day!!! I bought a Montgomery Ward yellow push mower in 1983 at the old age of 12 or 13. I used this mower on 2 churches one was 1 acre and the other was .5 acre. I mowed over 60 mobile home lots with this mower including my parents house. The oil was changed everyday and foam filter was rinsed with gas and reoiled. Yes, I said everyday using penzoil. I pulled this mower with a bicycle. Well anyway, got the call yesterday from my parents that the mower finally went to mower heaven. I used mower from 83-88 until I moved out and they mowed with it until 2006. I think I gave something like $119 with a 3.5hp briggs. I hope my Scags last half that long. Oh well.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why wouldn't you use synthetic oil?
  3. CutInEdge Lawn Care

I have contemplated the use of synthetic. Just old school I guess!! The moral of the story was my mower died though. Something from my childhood is gone. I live 1500 miles from parents so it was always enjoyable to hear they were still using something that I spent so many hours with. For a $119 it paid cash for two college degrees.
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you have it stuffed and mounted on your lawn? IT could serve as a marter for all your other mowers lol.
  5. CutInEdge Lawn Care

I would'nt want them to become jealous and become suicide cutters:usflag:
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

sounds to me a recording of taps should be played and a decent burial are in order :laugh:
  7. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

NOW THAT'S FUNNY :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I say you got your usage out of that machine!
  9. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i say that " i fought the lawn..... and the lawn won" song is needed here....