1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The deal with Kohler lifters

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leaflawnandlimb, Jul 13, 2001.

1. leaflawnandlimb

leaflawnandlimb LawnSite Member

Two years ago my dealer told me that if I used a 10w-30 witha "C" rating the clatter would go away, and it did. The problem, the only C rated oil I could find was Kohler brand oil at $2 a quart. Try it, it worked for us.
  2. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I would have to look it up but I do believe kohler stop selling that oil due to lack of sales
  3. linky

linky LawnSite Member

I wonder whats in the c rating oil. My Kohler ticks monday and tuesday of every week. It seems funny but i'm guessing its from sitting over the weekend. One would think as soon as the oil psi built up the ticking would go away. I have seen Kohler oil in some shops and i am gonna give it a try.
  4. mowerparts

mowerparts LawnSite Member

When my 22 Kohler starts ticking I just add a little Marvel Mystery Oil to the crank case and the problem goes away.:angel:
  5. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15hp Kohler on a 52" walk behind that was "ticking" loudly. My dealer recommeded "Seafoam" in the crankcase, he said to change the oil, put it in and run it for a while and the "ticking" should stop, it did after about 5 minutes.
  6. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 25hp Command and it never ticks i have always run Kohler Command 10-w-30 i get it at rual-king stores for 1.99 per qt.Kohler universal oils are blended from special basestocks and elevated additive concentrates to provide performance beyond that of conventional automotive type oils.Its very good oil id recomend it in the use of Kohler engines. Marks Mowing Service
  7. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

After I put 200 hrs. on my CV23S Kohler engine, I switched to
    Amsoil 10W-30 synthetic oil and haven't had any lifter noise since.
  8. curry

curry LawnSite Member

I have a 15 hp Kolar. When I bought it new the dealer put 30w oil in it. It clatters bad. It was sent back to Kolar and they said you MUST use 10w-30 with hydrolic lifters. I bought Snapper 10w-30 and havent had a problem in 5 months. Snapper oil was $7.50 a quart but it doubled my engine warrenty if I used only Snapper oil and bought 6 quarts.
  9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I always ran Penzoil 10W/30 in my 22 hp Kohler. At times, it would clatter a bit, but a year ago, I started running the same oil as I run in my diesel, 15W/40 Rotella T oil and it hasn't clattered since. I've run it for about 600 hours on this oil and this engine has about 3,520 hours on it.

The rpm's are set at 3,870 and have been since it was broke in, so it hasn't had an easy life, but a good long one. :)

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

So glad you guys brought this up! I bought a new Kohler 15 for
    my 44" toro. Sounded great the first 3 months. Seemed like after the first oil change, I got that horrible clatter. Still have it> Thanks for the tips. I will try the Marvel. If it does not work(hey SMBURGESS) where do you get this Seafoam?