1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AndrewE, Sep 8, 2004.

1. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

Yesterday I got to demo two Toro mowers. I already have a Toro Proline 44’ T-Bar.

1)Toro Proline 36’ Hydro 15hp Kawi
    Very easy controls
    True reverse
    Cuts great
    Discharges very well
    Leaves stripes without kit
    Light (Easy to do wheelie when loading onto trailer)
    5Gal Fuel tank
    Have to let go of controls to place in neutel(guy said there wasn’t a neutel lock on the handlebars but it looked like it had one)
    I don’t own it yet

2)Toro Z500 60; 28hp Kol
    Comfortable seat
    Very wide tires
    12Gal Fuel tanks
    Large hand controls
    Cut like crap
    Discharged 20 feet or more (had to clean stuff that I never had to before)
    Very under powered (?28hp?)
    Scalped easy (some of that is me being new)
    Yard was brown after I was done
    To heavy for my trailer with my T-Bar on it (Jeep cheekee)

So this winter I plan on buying the walk behind. Was a great machine and I was very happy with it. As for the Z500 I will be looking at other manufactures equipment.
  2. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks. Good info..............
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

As far as your comments on the Toro Z. There is something wrong either with the mower or you... maybe/probably both

"Cut like crap" - I doubt a new 500Z would do this?

"Clumped" - It was dischraging clumps 20 feet? (see below)

"Discharged 20 feet or more (had to clean stuff that I never had to before)" - Are you sure it was 20 feet? That's pretty far!

"Very under powered (?28hp?)" 28hp is plenty of power for a 60" deck.

"Scalped easy (some of that is me being new)" - It was all you :)

"Yard was brown after I was done" - (see above) This usually happens if you are scalping the lawn.

"To heavy for my trailer with my T-Bar on it (Jeep cheekee)" - This is not the mower's fault.. get a real truck.

I'm sorry... I don't even own a Toro Z & I think your evaluation is BS. It's obvious that you don't know what you are doing and maybe something was wrong with the machine.
  4. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

raise the deck a little :rolleyes:
  5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Anti-scalp wheels not set correctly. Blades not sharp. Operator not familiar.

That motor should be almost overkill for that deck.
  6. NoWalk4Me

NoWalk4Me LawnSite Member

Surely you must get a paycheck from Gravely, Scag or ..... Just kidding man. I hate to here you had such a bad experience w/ the 500 as I've used one and was very impressed. If it wasn't for my love affair w/ my SuperZ I'd probably own one. If you thought the 28 (EFI I'd guess) was weak you'd better check on Dixie Chopper for more HP as they've got the 50HP Yanmar diesel!
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I DO HAVE extensive experience with Z's.. And just recently had a very nice demo on my own property from the Toro regional rep..
    I agree with Hoss, and virtualy everone else.. I demoed the exact machine you desribed and it is everything you said it isn't.. One of the finest machines of it's kind I've ever opperated. Mega power, beautiful cut (with a mulch kit on, none the less) I could go on and on.. A real player.. Not trying to break your b a l l s, but I'd demo again and give it another shot, and I'd get a pickup..
  8. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

27Hp kohler on a 52" Z500 is overkill, but it's sure nice not ever hearing the motor change rpm.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Never enough power really. But in this case, he had plenty. :drinkup:
  10. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree that most of the problems you encountered were self-inflicted. I do not own a Toro ZTR but I know from seeing them in use that they are great machines. It's aggravating when people cut too short and then say it's the mowers fault.