The Devil Strip

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, May 4, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

In my neck of the woods we call the turf between the road and the sidewalk the Devils Strip. What do other people call that area, and where did the term "Devils Strip" come from, what is the meaning? Just curious

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

dunno but probably has something to do with when you're weedeating that portion you better look out for cars LOL

That's funny because I have a lot that's on a road with a sidewalk just like that. I went to cut it the other day and someone had took a BIG rider (at least a Z, I mean you could see this huge swath) and made two passes right near the road but nothing else... I'm like what is going on here and I kinda got mad because I thought someone's playing games with me, until I seen the median strip was cut also and then it dawned on me it must've been the county lol

3. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

I think they named it after an old girlfriend of mine! :weightlifter:

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

LOL!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

5. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

tree lawn in my parts. its required to have one tree per house on that strip of grass,hence "tree lawn"

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Devil strip because its no mans lands, technically the property owner don't own it as the city has all the rights to it, but its up to the property owner to maintain it for those gov. devils.

Always called them tree lawns

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Around these parts,its called a parkway. And lots of interesting things park by the parkway...and many very very interesting things happen sometimes late at night, by those things parked by the parkway lol.

8. P & L Turf

P & L Turf LawnSite Senior Member

About five years ago a local guy was mowing that just as a truck was hauling a car on one of those car dollies that has just the front of the car lifted, Well the car came off the dollie and was ghost riding down the road at about forty or so, and it blew over the curb and hit the guy mowing.:eek: Luckily he escaped with minor injuries as did the Dixie chopper, but the car was trashed. Maybe thats why it's called that. Cause one day you may meet your maker while mowing it.:)

9. lawncarepros2004

lawncarepros2004 LawnSite Member

over here in central oregon they call them there strips beuty strips.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I have never heard the term "devil's strip" before to describe that strip of grass.. interesting.