The dilemma of educating new Lco's

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by topsites, May 24, 2008.

Should we or shouldn't we?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2008.
  1. Let them figure it out.

12 vote(s)
  2. Educate them.

17 vote(s)
  3. Can't figure it out either.

0 vote(s)
  1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here is my problem, with the current state of the economy and the competition as rampant (Lco on every dang corner) is it better to educate them or just let them go on and fark it all up?

On the one hand I'd just as soon say nothing and let them figure it out the hard way like I had to do it, on the other they're as likely to ruin a customer for good in their contemptuous and inexperienced ways. And once a customer is ruined they might never call another one, you or me neither... Which, it's not about being better than them, I was in those shoes too and I did the same thing(s), but...

Either way it's not win-win no matter how I look at it, if a new Lco totally fouls up more than a few jobs it hurts some kind of way, too... Not to mention that not saying a word intentionally might have some kind of a way of coming back around :cry:
    But if we educate them we might just see as much if not more competition next year.

And it might force them down and out, on the other hand they might not get fired, they might hang on, you see ...

And sure it might not even make a dang difference at all :laugh:

What's your take on it?
  2. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I say let them figure it out.
    I have not experienced a "ruined" customer from a previous LCO, what I have experienced is
    an increase in business and profit by up-selling this disgruntled customer services either not offered previously or screwed up by the prior LCO.
    The market forces currently in force will act as a "Darwinian" filter thus removing those LCO's with out the smarts/business acumen to adapt.
    And the only difference a situation like this will create is more opportunities for those able to capitalize on them.
  3. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess i am the only one to vote so far. But my take on it is. Were friends not enemys, Those other LC are like my coworkers too. I mean i cant do all the work, Somebody has to be just as good as me. To each his own but i would much rather teach them or tell them they missd a spot so they dont look like ****** to there customers.
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, some of my customers have been burnt and I've come in to "fix" a landscaping job. More biz for me. Around here there is way too many landscapers for the market. I let the herd weed itself out. That's why I started my own biz, I wasn't going to do shotty work for any other company anymore.
  5. TwistedSister

TwistedSister LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I had to pretty much figure it out on my own, and I still dont know what the heck im doing???
  6. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

If a newer guy asks me advice, Im gonna help him all I can. I asked (and still ask) plenty of questions.
  7. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I am in 2 ways with this. The new guys need college for education in the green industry. But, The only way I would see benifit from us educating them as myself also is "how-to" run the business and deal with customers. If they aren't willing to go to college then we shouldn't waste our time. Too many "Joe Smoes" out there giving us a bad name.