"The Director" chute deflector for Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Aug 15, 2002.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Came across what looks like a nifty item from York Sheet Metal company called the "director". It is a discharge chute for eXmark Lazer Z decks which can be locked in 5 positions from fully opened to fully closed. Great for keeping clippings out of beds, driveways, walks, etc. Has anyone had any experience with them, and if so, how good do they work?

Seems a bit pricey at $175.

2. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see this contraption, do they have a web sight?

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

wouldn't it be just as easy to cut the other direction?

4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Director for my Lazer earlier this summer. This is the newest design and actually cost $235, which included shipping. I bought it because I have several commercial accounts along busy roads and also alot of residentials where the customers are extremely picky on keeping clippings out of their beds. It was an easy installation, just drill three holes. It has worked flawlessly and it will be one of the first things I purchase for my next Lazer, right along with the EZ-Striper. Here are several pics of the new model. Still not sure why mine came black instead of red like on the website-oh well, it works the same.

Please excuse the rather dirty Lazer, it's been busy.

The Director in the "wide open" position:

dsc00442.jpg

5. Esby

The Director in the "open" position:

dsc00443.jpg

6. Esby

The Director in the "partially open" position:

dsc00444.jpg

7. Esby

The Director in the "closed" position:

dsc00445.jpg

8. Esby

Lastly, a top view of The Director:

dsc00446.jpg

9. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Does anyone have the director on their Lazer Z HP. I bought one last year at the Expo, but can't figure out how to attach it to my 52" Lazer HP right.

10. Esby

The pictures above are of a 2001 Exmark Lazer Z HP 52". For installation of the "new design" you must have the director in the closed position with the rod in position such as in the pictures. Then position the plate on the deck and find a spot in which the mounting plate is flat and the chute is completely closed. You will want to mount it when the deck is lowered to your lowest cutting height as to avoid contact with the right gas tank. Mark the holes with a hammer and scribe, and then drill, I believe it was a 3/8" bit, but correct me if I am wrong, it was a while ago. Then bolt it on. Hope this helps, but like I said, this is for the new model. I don't know how the old model mounts on. In fact, when I talked to David at York, he said that this design is so much better than the old one that if you pay the difference, he will upgrade those holding the older model. He said that the new model is a "one piece" construction(no welds), unlike the other one, which was a "3 piece" constrution. You'd have to talk to York though, this was a while ago, I dont know if they have changed their policy. Good Luck.