The door is open for Constructive Criticism!

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by FrostCreek, Jul 25, 2013.

1. FrostCreek

FrostCreek LawnSite Member

Hello fellow landscaping extraordinaires!

I guess I should do an introduction on another page, but this is my first post and I would like to share some of my work. So please, have at it!

Some before and after pictures of jobs I've done in July. The edgestone job the client wanted to do their own mulching with their son, hence all that exposed fabric.

before.jpg

slopehalf.jpg

slopefinish.jpg

frontplants.jpg

frontbefore.jpg

frontfinish.jpg

islandbefore.jpg

islandafter.jpg

2. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Looks very nice

3. FrostCreek

Thanks, Vecchio, I appreciate your compliment. I know some things that I did wrong: Fabric looks bad, my gravel/bark border downhill on the 4th pic is shoddy, not many plants in the bark either. The client had old 2x4x16's that he used as a sort of retainer wall for a drainage area. He wanted them replaced, and I used half of a broken one and a full one as the border in that 3rd picture, but ran out of room in the budget to put new ones in all around the rock/bark border.

4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

Where did you get the concrete edging at, can you give me a website link to it? Thanks. You did good work. As long as the client is happy, it matters not if we lawnsiters approve or not.

5. FrostCreek

Colaguy, I actually bought these from Home Depot because they were cheaper than from the source, but they were manufactured by Mutual Materials, who I believe operates just out of the Northwest. Sorry.

Honestly, I am just looking for any pointers on how I may improve on jobs like these.

My inability to bid has actually proven to be my biggest problem thus far, but I guess I could rant about that somewhere else.

6. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

You should quote an hourly rate+pickup/delivery & hauling off debris. Some here will tell you to quote a fixed price instead but sometimes its hard to figure out how many hours are involved in a fixed price. Charging hourly, you cannot lose. I used to quote a fixed price eons ago & I lost tons of $ because it took longer than I estimated.

Your pavers are similar to these at HD but yours are wider:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/12-in-River-Red-Edgestone-Concrete-Edger-93151/100343987#.UfMFyI3VDYQ

Some in off white I put out last week:

[​IMG]

7. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

what type of stone is that bud? The boarder stuff with the mulch... ?

8. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Oh yeah, looks great by the way....

9. FrostCreek

10. Porkins

Porkins LawnSite Senior Member

If I remember right, you can customer order that border from Wal-Mart (well at least in my area you can order)