1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The doubles advantage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jnjnlc, Oct 17, 2001.

1. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

On Tuesday I got my first chance at seeing how well doubles do in leaves. I am posting a couple of pics so you can see the difference yourself. The doubles are on a Toro 44" ZTR

leaves 1.jpg

2. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

The second Pic

leaves 2.jpg

3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

That's pretty! What kind of mower are you using? After all the hype I've heard about doubles on this site, I'm tempted to try it. Only problem is, I've got SCAG stuff, and I'm afraid that I'll break it. That's after hearing all the horror stories I've heard about SCAG equipment on this site.
    Where in Charlotte are you from? I live in Pineville myself.
    Take care, Bill Craig

4. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Bill, They are on a Toro 44" ZTR.

5. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

Bill, I am out in Matthews. I used to live out in the Steele Creek area. Most of my customers are still out there.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have posted this before, but for new members, I have used doubles for many years and this is a couple of pictures I took last fall. You can see all the leaves on the right of the top picture and to the left is one time over the leaves with a 60" diesel Dixie Chopper with a Mulcher on top and a regular blade on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Below is after a second time over this lawn.

[​IMG]

7. casey

casey Guest

First year using doubles on leaves. Incredible. We cut a lawn with inch thick wet leaves, double cut, DUST. Never again use anything but doubles on leaves.

8. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful on the Scag electric clutch...I tried doubles loved them, however could tell I would be buying a new electric clutch ever month on the tiger...........And yes scag said ,VOID warranty if you run them....

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Why don't Mfg's give a buyer an option of a HAND clutch?

I did have to replace an electric clutch in my 332 John Deere about 14 years ago, but that was the last one. I've used hand clutch mowers since 1993. I did replace a $2.00 bushing in my old machine on the clutch pivot point that had worn a bit after 3600 hours. This has been my only problem in over 9,000 total hours of using hand clutches.

10. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52" Toro ZTR.

What combination of blades did you use?

Did you use a different (longer) bolt, washer between the blades, etc.?

Looks great