The dreaded Friday request...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VLM, Mar 10, 2001.

1. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I'm sure ya'll know what I'm talking about. I am already getting requests for lawn service this year on Friday. I've been dealing with this problem for years but I have a hard time saying no - theres only so much work you can fit in one day, and I allways wind up with more work on Fridays than any other day. Looking for suggestions and new strategies.

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a premium charge for cutting on Fridays....Those who REALLY want a service on Friday will REALLY have to pay for it...Supply and Demand

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

hey, make them pay more, but what are they gunna say when you have to come back in 4 to5 days because of how fast the yard grows don't come back until friday. if they do raise the price some more, to compensate yourself. their is a post exactly the same just posted today its name is "special orders" check it out some guys have already posted their thoughts on it.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure I can mow on Friday morning, but if we have 2 rain days during the week, I`ll have to be mowing it on Sunday morning that week. But if it only rains one day, we can do it early Saturday morning.

5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

What we did was determine where the most expensive neighborhoods were located that we service demographically. Then we anaylized which of these were the most profitable. That is how we determined who gets cut on Fridays. Unfortunately if we went by who was willing to pay extra for the day, I would need two fridays a week.

The one thing that you may want to try is explaining to these high-end accounts that you begin cutting residentials on Wednesday and it should not be a problem to have them cut by the start of the weekend.

These coversations will usually go soemthing like this:
    Mrs. Jones: I really need to have our lawn cut on Friday so that it looks its best for the weekend. This is the time when we do most of our entertaining.
    I undersatnd that you are looking to have your lawn in the same meticulous shape as the country club for functions. We start our routes on Wednesdays and cannot guarantee you a cutting on Friday itself. However, we do cut our more manicured properties closer to the weekend. So if we were to cut you Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning there truely will not be a noticeable amount of growth overnight.
    Mrs. Jones: I just want to make sure that things will look their best for our dinner parties this summer.
    That should not be a problem. If you have a special function please call us by Wednesday and we can adjust our schedule to accomodate your lawn care needs. And you can rest assured that we will have your property looking its best by 530 when you come home from work Friday evening.

This is how I smooth them over. All of these clients want the same thing: To know that we wont be there before the end of the week or after the start of the weekend. To date we have handled them all like this and it has worked well for us.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

[Edited by kutnkru on 03-11-2001 at 04:14 AM]

6. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

Im going to answer this question the same as another one. If you can get $40 for mowing a lawn up to Wednesday, then I would make them pay more for Thursday and Friday cuttings. I think that it would be just like at the stadium. The closer to center stage you get the more cash to fork out. same thing goes here. The closer to the weekend the more money needed for the service.

7. David Hickerson

David Hickerson LawnSite Member

Pay more for Friday cuts? I see your point but I have learned to tell people NO. I have been tempted to take on more work for more money. I keep every thing simple. First come first serve. I book 20 yards a day. If tue-fri our booked I gues we will see you Monday. If that is not good enough find someone else. We cut the same day every week. Let them know who is the boss of your company. They might pay me but they are not the owner.

Houston

8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

I only schedule cuts Tues-Thurs now (Monday being maintenance day and Friday being make-up/additional service day). I schedule each lawn according to the day of the week I'm in the neighborhood. Whenever necessary I rework my scheduling to better meet my company needs.

What this means is, I can't guarantee a day for any customer. I have certain time-slots to fill and new customers have to fit into those spots to be considered. There was a time when I'd try to fit everyone I could into the days and times they wanted most, but that had me running back and forth across town every single day, and making up work all weekend long. No mas.

You've got a company schedule to keep. If possible, schedule the area with the highest number of these requests, and best profits, for the latest day in the week you work. Be adamant. You can only do so much, and if some customers can't meet your business policy you'll need to find those that can.

-TGC

9. Hello Everybody:

Everybody wants Cuts on Friday & what if you can't? Well the Phone rings off the Hook & it ain't worth it! Then you out there Eating Crow on Saturdays! They don't understand & do not care either, they just want it cut on Friday? No Way! Too Many Headaches!

Do them a Big Favor & Cut them on Thursday, let them pay for it TOO & make them think you are doing them a Big Favor by Squeezing them in Yo Busy Schedule! They get What They Pay for & if they want it, They Pay for it & They Fully Understand!

I bet you wish you could Get $100 for every 5,000 sq. ft. lawn you cut TOO!? Let them wish for Fridays TOO!