The dreaded white flys are here.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Garth, May 10, 2005.

1. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, my friends, one of the most tenacious pest have reared their ugly little heads in my neighborhood. As whiteflies have become increasingly resistant to chemical control throughout the U.S, we are faced with a real dilemma. Chemical control is difficult and expensive which makes the cost of treatment prohibitive.
    There have been studies that suggest that treating resistant whitefly populations with certain insecticides could actually increase the population growth. It could be because they lay more eggs when under biochemical stress or because pesticides eliminate natural predators.
    Rotating different classes of chemical compounds every other spray is about the only way to effect control. Soaps and oils are one of the few things that whiteflies are unlikely to develop a resistance to and should be used as much as possible before using chemicals. An effective IPM coupled with rotated chemical control such as pyrethroids ( Karate, Asana, Ambush), carbamates (Vydate) chlorinated hydrocarbons (Thiodan) organophosphates ( Orthene, Lorsban) and insect growth regulators (fenoxicarb, Applaud) may allow us to eventually gain control.
    Even the best pesticide, however, will fail if there is substandard coverage. Most whitefly are located under the leaf where they are protected from spray applications and the the instar stages ( except the crawler stage) are immobile and are not exposed.
    Are there any recommendations as far as the eradication of this pest that I have not touched on?

2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Everytime someone says, "guess what I saw?", what they saw shows up.

Thanks...lol

3. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

I am only suggesting an application technique. I never had a customer concerned about whiteflies, thus I have only read about treating for them. As you stated, effective control can be achieved through repeated applications and varying the appropriately labeled products that are applied. A mist-blower or a fogger can be a good option to thoroughly apply the product(s) to the shrub. However, you must control your drift when using either technique. Opinions?

4. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

An excellent suggestion, MikeD520. I will see if it is not problematic and get back with a result.