1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The drought

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Charles, May 15, 2000.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

NO rain in the past month for most of the south. Also 90 deg temps have dried everything out. As usual we are having cool windy spells. Good for blowing the dust and dead grass in your face. Customers are starting to move their cuts up. Most of us haven't recovered from last years disaster. The fronts come and go. The rain disipates or goes north or far south. Who knows. Still no rain in sight. I can't remember a drought starting this early. Last may was kinda dry. But nothing like this.

2. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

They also are talking about banning watering<br>here.

3. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Charles man, I'm gonna pray for rain and do a rain dance just for you because I know how bad a drought is. And it seems like the dryer it is, the more it doesn't rain. Like a viscious cycle.<br>Remember to watch your air filters because dusty conditions can clog one up in no time flat which means you have to watch the oil as well.<br>Last year in Ohio the drought was wicked but we still had a great year. Blew up a few engines but you know. This year the grass is taking revenge and it rains every 2-3 days. I'm sure the water table is still low but lawn care is fine.<br>I've got a good feeling that things will turn around for you soon, a cycle can't last forever.

4. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Charles dry here in roanoke va also It has gotta rain soon thugh I hope

5. NeilG

NeilG LawnSite Member

Dry in Alabama too. We don't do any cutting, but the dry conditions effect all of us in the Green Industry. Hope that you guys get some much needed rainfall.

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Same here in KY,as I cut Tuesday I noticed the grooth rate has really slowed up,Things better change soon or it will be like last year.

7. bondlawn

bondlawn LawnSite Member

Charles, I don't know where you live, but in Griffin, GA I've already cut back by one third the amount of cutting I did last year. Water restrictions are already in place in various towns around Atlanta, including Griffin. Absolutely the driest I ever remember in May.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I'll send yall some rain. We have had rain 8 out of the last 12 days in Illinois. I will be willing to share with you guys. I did notice it will be heading to the south and east this weekend. I sure hope you get some of it. :)<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

9. lawngator

lawngator LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Eric, If you would, point that rain towards central Florida. I don't know how much more of this drought we can take. <br>Bill<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: lawngator

10. lawnnut

lawnnut LawnSite Member

Backing all accounts up 1 week again. <br>Except for a few.<br>