The Dry Box by Dura Plastic Products, Inc.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JimLewis, Dec 14, 2011.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

This is a new product I saw in one of my trade journals today (Current issue of Landscape & Irrigation Magazine). I thought it was pretty cool. Would definitely take a little more time to install vs. a standard valve box. But once installed, they have a water tight seal and are said to keep out dirt, water, insects, snakes, rodents, frogs, etc.

They say it has a rubber sealed compression lock that seals by tightening the bolt in the center of the lid.

I know my service techs would LOVE it if we started installing these. It would make future wiring or valve maintenance a whole lot easier. I don't know. Maybe I'm the only one excited about this. But it looks like a very cool idea to me!

Valve Box A.jpg

2. manifolds:(
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The only thing I hate more than my ex wife.... is a manifold.

Anyway, what keeps the dirt from moving in from the openings where the pipes come in and out of the box? That would be saaaaweet for DCVA applications.

EDIT---

A few min later, and I changed my mind.... I hate my ex more than anything in life.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

but can you fit eight valves in there?

5. txirrigation

from Texas

hahaha

How much are these running?

6. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

And what happens to the water that drains when you open up a valve for service?

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I like the concept, but I'm thinking it would eventually fill up with crap and water, sealed or not.

Makes a nice little pool?

8. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

I like the idea, but implementing them in the field is the hard part. We use the Rainbird boxes just because we think they are better since they are not the cheapest.

We normally do not manifold, but on small builder systems that are 4-6 zones it is a good way to go. We took over from a company that installed a 6" valve box for every valve set side by side. 4-6 of those cheap a$$ boxes looks terrible and we use a large valve box with 3 - 4 / 1" PGA valves with no issues. 400 houses down and we may have had to replace 4 valves at the most so I do not see a problem with it.

Commercial sites are all 10" boxes or larger, yet we still see plenty of 6" boxes on apartment communities done by some of the competition.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

i like setting the valves on stone over a concrete pad

whatcha been doing kiril?

10. txirrigation

from Texas