The dumbest thing anyones ever asked...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ketzer, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Ketzer

Ketzer LawnSite Member

I've got a small grove of bamboo plants. I wanted to set up an above ground simple line of pop ups to keep them watered. Being completely redneck, I thought I could just hook the garden hose to the end of my PVC masterpiece and let it run.
    I'm sure you guys already know where this is headed, the garden hose will run two or three just fine but the nine I've got won't pop. Obviously I don't have any idea what I'm doing... when you guys finally stop laughing, give me a little help please?
  2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Will you please set my controller so my grass stays green but use very little water.;)
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What you are doing is like trying to put out a fire with a garden hose. You have 9 heads that need X amount of water and X PSI to work, but you can only give a small amount of water/pressure from your garden hose.

Either find a source of water that can provide more pressure and gallons per minute, or split your above ground sprinkler system into 3 separate zones and run only 3 heads a time.
  4. Ketzer

Ketzer LawnSite Member

Thanks Dirty, makes sense. I may need to start looking into tapping the main water line from the street. It's a 2 inch but gets choked down so bad at the house that we don't have any decent press or volume on the outside spigots.

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

take the nozzels off those pop-ups, go to a commerical irrigation supplier and tell them you want 9 mp rotator nozzels. it will cost you about 52$
    i almost guarantee your garden hose has enough volume to run the 9 mps
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

MP rotators, that's the ticket. I would like to see the thread with the dumbest questions ever asked.
  7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Geez, Idaho is becoming the new south.
  8. Ketzer

Ketzer LawnSite Member

More great advice! Thanks, I'll look into them. It would be worth investing the fiddy.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic

GEEZ! comming from a washington guy. Mp rotators come from WALLA WALLA!

and I actually fixed entire subdivsions in colorado simply swapping out vans for mps.
    4" looped main line that was substantial for phase one, then had phase two and three tapping into the same source.... hey why dont my pop-ups work?.....ummm maybe because eveyone else is watering at the same time..

tada mp rotators to the rescue!

No digging, no new pumps, no sweat, big profit!:)
  10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

They are commonplace now. Have been for a few years. Good product. Are they still made solely in WA? After Hunter boughtem?