The E-Myth

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tiedeman, Jun 23, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, I finally picked up this book a couple of weeks ago and I am about half way through it.

Is it me or does the guy just seems like he doesn't know what he is talking about sometimes? It just seems like he really doesn't have any experience as a owner or operator of a small business.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. Moguy

Moguy LawnSite Member

I read the book, along with the E myth Contractor and I'm not sure if there is something specific you are referring to?

3. tiedeman

from earth

Update: I just finished it last night.

What I thought happened in the book was he repeats himself way too often. There were so many times that I would skip sections because he constantly repeated points.

The other thing is that the stuff that he talks about more than likely will not and can not happen in a business. I am not saying that it totally can't, but when I read a section I constantly say to myself, "Ok buddy, like you have a clue."

A good example is the Widget makers organization chart. Does he actually think that partners are going to stick to that chart and do the work constantly in that field and not get into a fight over the work about who does more. I don't think so.

He acts like everybody should have a couple hundred thousand lying around to make your 5 pie store locations in 7 years (Sarahs store idea). What he should have said to her was ,"Give me a break Sarah, you are going to have 5 stores up and running in 7 years, and then turn around and sell the stores for 1 million dollars?" "And you expect to live off that one million for the rest of your life and into retirement?"

Yes, the book does make good points, but a lot of it is stuff that business owners should already know, like for example the chapter on marketing strategies. The book didn't do anything for me at all. Maybe its just me though.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Tiedeman,

I am glad you read it. At the very least it might have opened your mind to new views and ideas. That alone is great.

I think the author's point was that everyone in an organization needs a business title and job description so that they know what they are and are not responsible for.

5. tiedeman

from earth

Yes, it did open my mind slightly Gopher, but it wasn't what I expected. I thought that it would provide more information as why the businesses fail or don't succeed, but I was clearly wrong. Maybe its because I have read numerous business books and have studied business psychology (I/O) or maybe I got the book with high expectations.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I believe that most books are twice as long as necessary, but most people will buy the bigger book thinking more content.
    I am 1/2 way through his other book " The E Myth- Revisited" and I thing that I have found nuggets of info in it, but yes, a lot is common since.
    I think as a business grows and you get more people and "departments", that the practices that he tells about will start to become more important.

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I found the book to have great insight into the business owning experience. Although I thought he rambeled at points, and kinda didn't get his points across sometimes, it was a good book. The advice isn't aplicable to all businesses, but there is info in there you can take and apply to the green industry.

8. Maxwells

Maxwells LawnSite Member
    from NZ

Hi So which book would you recommend to read ?

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you think E-myth is repetitive stay away from Jim Collins books, lol.

10. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -