the eagle....has landed....???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

so let's see how honest you are: i just went on an estimate. it's a customer whos home i maintain, who needed work at her office. we chat for a moment, then she proceeds to show me what they need. i'm writing it all down, and i'm at a figure of, say, $2400. before i can even talk numbers, she goes, "bob, i'm just telling you in advance, if the estimate comes in at $6000 or less, i can give you the ok on the spot. but, if it's over $6,000 , the company policy is, that i have to get 2 other quotes." i'm thinking...."is today my birthday?" ok, i smile, and say, "don't worry mrs jones, i can keep it within your budget, the price i have here is........." . what's the price? you originally were thinking around $2400. she blurted out $6,000. what do you do? what, do u think, i did?

2. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

$3500 Why not?

3. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Double your original figure and call it a day...........

4. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

$2400.00........

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You bid $4000.00

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you know those 20 lawncutting customers, who i wanted to raise 10%, but couldn't, due to competition? 10% of $30= $3. $3 per cut x 28 cuts= $84 per client x 20 clients= $1680. $2400 + $1680= $4080. under $6,000= she's happy. over $2400= i'm happy. the perfect ending to a great day

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Am I good or what?LOL!!!

8. lazerslicer05

lazerslicer05 LawnSite Member

First u want to keep the number where u originally had it but then u start to think of that new blower u could buy with the extra then again u think well i am honest, but hey a trimmer and a new blower what the hell 3299.00 or u could go with 4500.00 and take the next couple days off......If it was me i would keep it at 2400.00:nono:

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Honesty is the ONLY way to go - to Golden eternity, that is........:usflag:

10. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I would have stayed with my first amount. I might have double checked, but I would not have changed due to the fact that she allowed me the opportunity. Most of my bids are broken down and the customer sees what they are paying for, this make it easy for me to explain what the costs are and they know up front what they are getting for their money. If someone complains that they think my pricing on a certain material is to high, well I explain that this is my price and it is not changing.