The ECONOMY - How is it affecting you??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1cooltreeguy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

OK - so here we are...Tell all the raw affects and effects of the economy grinding to a slow death is affecting you and how you operate? Or are you considering STOPPING - Operating that is? Thanks, E :usflag::usflag::usflag::hammerhead::hammerhead::cry::cry:
  2. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My biz is 100% little old lady customers and professionals who dont want to or cant mow (cuz of the heat) will keep paying me.

I stay lean and payments, keep my old stuff up and running, no costly employees (thatll get a response!) Run tight routes.

Only more and more baby boomers getting too old to mow so I should do OK.:usflag:
  3. 1cooltreeguy

Beginning to think - expensive employees comment is correct. Maybe I can downsize - keep the sweet accounts and do the work myself.....??????????????
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought you were doing really well on the Banks, work slowing down?
  5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The weakening dollar and skyrocketing oil/energy prices have really effected fertilizer prices. What used to be the gravy part of my business is becoming the tough gristle. A bag of fert that would have set me back $6 5 yrs ago is edging near $20.
    Ride it out, hope for improvement and find other niche services that will bring in higher profits.
  6. 1cooltreeguy

Yes indeed. This is the first out of the last 8 years that work fell off of a cliff the 2nd week of NOV. We have many year round contract - thank God- or we would be in trouble... can't wait for march. Still negotiating with that HOA - but my thoughts are that they know that there are alot of starving lco's out there and are gonna try a lowballer - Just my instincts reading the situation..from their questions.... -- oh yeah - we were doing a job for the state - DOT - and two other companies (from more thatn 100 miles away) stopped by and practically begged the DOT supervisor/inspector for work. The workers were in the trucks ready to work...DOT man said - no work here/..:cry::cry::cry:
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

We are doing better every year. Only use one very part time employee. Wife and I do most of the mowing. Our machines are all diesel, and fuel cost's including the diesel truck that I incure remain at the 5-6% of gross level. I do most of my own maintainance. We are in the enviable position of having landed some nice large contracts over the last 3 years which have allowed me to make a very smooth transition from part time to full time. Last year the overhead was 35%, and in the next two years it should go down to 30% as our gross almost doubles.
  8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly my situation.
  9. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

Well, between the drought, oil prices and the economy, And now my county that I work in has completely messed up their fertilization laws and made it harder for us to make customers happy! I for see a GREAT year. Sarasota has implemented a restricted season where we can not app between June1-til Sept.30. So the out come of all this for me is cowboy up and face the music, lower prices where needed, flood the market with marketing and hope are a brighter tomorrow!
  10. 1cooltreeguy

Yeah - but has anybody noticed long standing good paying customers tightening their belts. looking for lowballers after you have done a good job for them for several years...????