1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The edge of the mulch beds look like this...What Happened?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by oOTurfmanoO, Apr 21, 2008.

1. oOTurfmanoO

oOTurfmanoO LawnSite Member

It started last year, maybe mid-season. Initially I thought it was stress from trimminf so we skipped triumming the bed edges for a few weeks. It began by browning, then dying right off. Towards the end of the year it looked like the Bluegrass may be making a comeback.

Went to shine the place up last week and the areas around the beds were just shot. Nadda, nothing!

I have no ideas what the heck happened or how to solve it.

Any thoughts?

Picture 837.jpg

Picture 840.jpg

Picture 838.jpg
  2. oOTurfmanoO

To the top, bumpity bump bump
  3. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be from where your guys were going around the trees on the Z and dragging the trire thus ripping the turf.
  4. SSEnterprises

SSEnterprises LawnSite Member
    from SE PA

I agree, looks like turf damage from tires.
  5. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe compaction from running the mowers over those areas a little more and a bit slower than the other areas of the turf.

Looks like if you raked it out and sprinkled some decent starter fert and high grade compost/top soil it may fill back in.

You are going to need to be gentle with it though. Hopefully one of the Fert/Squirt gurus come on and have a little better idea but the area in front of the flower bed with the evergreen in it looks like it is sick but it could be turf tear damage as well but I don't totally buy it until it is confirmed by someone with a good bit more experience at diagnostics than me.
  6. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

was there anything sprayed around the plants/trees?
  7. oOTurfmanoO

Maybe round-up drift?
  8. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like thats your answer. overspray does it all the time. edge around the dead turf and make the landscape bed bigger or re-seed. good luck!
  9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like you were spraying round up In the mulch to kill the weeds last year...my vote goes for the round up
  10. midatlantic grass

midatlantic grass LawnSite Member

Round-up spread out into the grass-I agree with some of the guys. Same thing happened to me before I realized more isn't always better!