The edge of wettness...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Toroguy, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

This season has been one for the lawn care Hall of Fame. I can recall only one week where rain did not interfere with my mowing schedule. Over the past 4-5 years I generally receive a week or two off in July as a result of dry Summer conditions. The remaining weeks I would skip a few un-irrigated properties. This season I have skipped three properties, two of which it rained an inch the following day and the grass was 6" the following week, so mistakes aside I have needed to skip one property in 19 weeks so far ( 1 of 1000 )! Rainfall for this year is nearing the area record.

As good as things are I guess I like the mid Summer week off, it recharges the energy. The fact the Season is soon over has been a souce of energy lately.

I have always prepared for a drought scenario financially, but now have the experience of a soggy season in my belt, which makes me think if I won the lotto I would find something bad in it:)

Anyone else having a similar year?
  2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

the first year i worked in lawn maintenance was a summer when it rained on toronto like 17 weekends in a row. every monday morning i would listen to the radio guy remarking "that was the tenth weekend in a row with rain"..."that was the 14th weekend in a row..."

so i cut spring like growth all season, and my weekends sucked...i'm sure my boss loved it.

as for this yr. things dried up right after the spring, but ok now. bit of rain, enough to keep things green but not to cause a backlog.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

have had yrs like that bud. put that mony back u probably need it next yr.
    glad its going good.:)