The Edgit and Liability ????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Five Diamond Lawns, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

I just got my first Edgit this week and love it!!!!!! I can definitely see the attraction to it and want to get a couple more for my employees to use. My only concern is my liability exposure!!!!!!!

My thought is this:
    I have removed the factory installed safety guard and replaced it with a off market device designed to produce a better edge. Yes I realize it is bigger but it doesn't have a lip like the factory guard and it requires the string to be let out farther the the factory guard.
    When I talked to Scott and Edgit he gave me a lot of what he thought were logical reasons why it was better / more protective than the factory guard but no official of documented studies ( ei. anything that would cover me in a law suit ).
    Yes all my employees are required to use safety glasses but they are still going to get hit in the face.

Any thoughts??????????

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I use it and like everything else, know the distances required and be careful.

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Factory guard? What is that? We take them off the day we get them down here. Not just me but about all 200 LCO in my county.

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Do you worry about everything this much? I dont see how some people can get out of bed in the morning. If something happens, edgit corp has more money than you, so thats who a good lawyer will go after.

5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

It would be nice to just wing it, but I already have one employee out on L&I ( Washington States on the job injury system) and they have called and questioned my safety program and commitment.