The edgit wheel for trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AB Lawn Care, Feb 2, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

We sent away for information on this attachment for trimmers after seeing it advertised in small ads section at the back of the Pro magazine. They claim the attachment will increase productivity and give all of your properties a neatly edged look. It looks like a round disk on the end of the trimmer.

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

We bought 2 in 1998 and let everybody try them. We're always open to new ideas and like to try new things.<p>We didn't like them.

3. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

I guess it is just a matter of taste. Same with just about everything else (food, tools, mowers, cars, trucks, etc. etc.). We have an Edgit attachment on one of our Shindaiwas and like it very much. Of course when I say &quot;We&quot;, I'm only talking about my son and I. As far as how many people out of one hundred would like the Edgit?, I couldn't say. But I'm fixing to order another one because my son and I are always fighting over who gets the trimmer with the Edgit attachment. It felt a little odd using it the first few times, but now a regular trimmer feels odd to use (go figure). If I were you I would order one and try it out. If you do, use it a few times before you make a judgement call on it. I wouldn't be without mine.<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<p><br>

4. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

I have seen them before and i was wondering how much they cost?

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Doc,<p>I really liked the concept, and didn't mind trimming with it at all. But the edging didn't work as anticipated. The dish didn't roll as anticipated.<p>Did they change it? Does it roll easily?<p>I really like the way a trimmer edges, it's much cleaner than a steel bladed edger in most situations.

6. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

Lazer,<p>I don't know if they've changed anything since you purchased your Edgits. Every so often I pour dry graphite lubricant in the access hole provided on the Edgit. Seems to roll freely to me, not like roller bearings but pretty easy. I use the Edgit for trimming and edging, but I establish an edge with a Mantis tiller that has an edging attachment, and then come behind it with the Edgit. From then on I just use the Edgit and I can edge just about as fast as I can walk. The disc keeps the trimmer line away from the walk or curb, so the line lasts alot longer. I've never used a stick edger but from what I've heard they're slower than using the Edgit. I've used a three wheeled edger before and didn't like it at all. But everybody has their own techniques. What works good for one person may not work so good for the other.<p>By the way I just want to tell everybody I really enjoy reading their posts on this forum. I have learned alot from hearing about everyone's experience in lawn care.<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>

7. docshank

docshank LawnSite Member

Dingo,<p>I ordered mine straight from the company. Total including shipping was ($75.95).<p>----------<br>Doc Shank<br>

8. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thanks Doc

9. edgit

edgit LawnSite Member
    from Kentucy

getting people to spend a couple of days trying the edgit is the biggest problem we've had. On first use it always seems odd and good trimmer operators are the hardest to change. Edgit makes it a lot easier to train new operators. Its nothing more than a rolling guide that holds your string in the groove. the proper procedure for combining the edging and trimming into one comprehensive process also helps. We devopeled a system called Following the Edge. most good operators do this intuitively but its nice to have on paper. questions? call 800-685-1005, or email at edgit@juno.com or website - www.edgit.com

10. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Landscaper Supply has them on clearance for $49.95. They will no longer carry them due to slow sales and general dissatifaction from their customers, according to the local branch manager.<p>http://www.landscapersupply.com<p>Bill