1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The end of the 2 stroke engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Feb 10, 2002.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

While reading some posts on arboristsite. com website, I came across some interesting information. It seems that between 2003 and 2005, legislators will enact tough new pollution standards that will virtually eliminate the 2 stroke engine in its current state. To combat this reality, some manufactorers like Shindaiwa and Stihl are creating hybrid 4/2stroke engines that use many of the parts of a 4 stroke engine but still run on a 50:1 fuel mix ratio. Shindaiwa's engine, I believe is labelled as the T2500 and is on their new T231 string trimmer. You can see it on their website at ?www.shindaiwa.com In addition, its seems many of the 2 stroke manufactorers aren't changing their product lines much in the next year because of the new legislation. How do you guys think this will impact the lawn care industry? Will sales of 2 stroke products be down in the next year thus leading to bargains?
  2. Have no clue yet. Time will tell.
  3. I acutuly got the T-231. The one thing I will say is weight. this thing weighs about 7 pounds more than my old 230.

As to your comment, my understanding in Ca. by 2004, no small hand held 2 cycle engines is a goal, but on small mowers, they all will be 4 cycle engines mandatory. We will see the newer product here in California before any other state just because Ca has always had stricter emmissions requirements than any other state.

4. I think what they are shooting for is a catyletic converter.
  5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I noticed from your profile that you're from Toronto - is the legislation that your referring to currently in the US or Canada?
    I know that legislation like this is headed our way.
  6. Jason,
    it's already happing in the U.S.A.

Just depends how much you state wants that federal highway money.
  7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard its headed this way. I haven't heard any specifics yet - I know that Michigan is always in line for $$$ for highway dollars from the fed - so, I'll just keep my ears and eyes open.
    California seems to always lead the way in this type of (clean-air/pollutant) legislation. I had heard about CA enacting this kind of legislation for some time.
  8. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to believe with the technology available today they cant make a 2 cycle engine comply,My bet is they have already done it but are waiting until they have sold all the current models they can in your market,then just before the legislation comes into force,surprise,new models will appear making what they just sold obsolete,then they can carry on making the old models and sell them in unregulated countries.Thats how business is done......
  9. BigJim
    2 things.
    Money and weight.

It takes money to change a model.
    The newer models will be heavier.