The end of the great American lawn???

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Organic a go go, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Organic a go go

Organic a go go LawnSite Member

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

It is possible but I doubt it will happen. Govt steps in everywhere else I am sure they will here too. You got to think about the impact that will have on nature to take away all that green.

We shall see...

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

This closing comment is both subjective and has the imprints of this author's moral and social values impregnated into it:

As the anti-lawnists correctly observe, the American lawn now represents a serious civic problem. That the space devoted to it continues to grow—and that more and more water and chemicals and fertilizer are devoted to its upkeep—doesn’t prove that we care so much as that we are careless.♦

I have to disagree. While she makes makes many valid points, this article is about as biased and subjectively opinionated as it gets.

From the "Hanging gardens", one of the 7 wonders of the world, to even the lowly American lawn, and every man made planting ever done, they are designed... man made, designed by man outside ot thier natural habitat. Does that in itself make them evil? (as she actually said!)

I do happen to share some of her VERY subjective opinions.... vast areas of unused land should not be lawns.... it's a waste. A landscape (on a large property) can be made much more interesting with native species plantings, utilizing the vast variety or available fauna, from ferns to trees and everything in between.

Having said that, in America's subirbia, there are other realities that the author fails to even remotely consider. If one is to scoff at the grand English gardens of sculped hedes, manicured lawns, interspersed with natural plantings is to say man should not be able to use resources as an individual might see fit.

I still see beauty in a finely manicured lawn, and it is man's taming of nature that IS part of it.... just as man has raised cattle, sheep, and even ducks in an artificial environment for his purposes. Long before bio-engineering ever happened, dogs were bred for man's use and purposes.... and not always for the better.

Her argument, seemingly, is about cultural practices. There are women who don't like the idea that American culture says they should shave their bodies, and there is a point to that. It's a CULTURAL argument..... a manicured lawn CAN be achieved without poisoning the environment! That INCLUDES the use of man made AND organics!

Lawns don't kill people.... while lawns are no doubt an over-used landscaping element, when land could be used so much more effectively otherwise, but to condemn the entire idea of even small lawns for family recreation, sports activities, and other cultural uses is frankly, extremist and non-sensical.

I've said this before.... go play a game of croquet in a patch of woodruff. A good landscape might include some lawn for such activities, but still have a pretty patch of sweet woodruff on the borders. Extremism.... this article was written by an extremist. No middle ground, no understanding of 2500 years of cultural plantings and for that matter, even food supply plantings, as it seems she hates anything that doesn't just grow on it's own. Maybe the farmers should just stop planting seeds, and see what grows.... maybe we could eat it. That is darn near the message she conveys. Man made plantings are bad.... silliness.

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

And don't forget the misquitos and vermin that live in "natural" habitats. We are just too arrogant to think that we are capable of detroying the the planet with our efforts.

Between volcanoes and hurricanes etc., our efforts are pretty insignificant, and for the most part we farmers and landholders spend more time restoring and preserving the onslaught of natural phenomenon, than we do destroying it ourselves.

Big difference between stewardship and neplect. The talking heads want us to believe "neglect is green". Lakes turning to swamps, killing fish is green. Allowing fallen trees to erode river banks is green. I say the talking heads have been 'educated' beyond their intelligence.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

LMAO! Yeah, lawns are killing the planet. So am I, every time I take a leak. Lets not even talk about taking a dump! :laugh:

7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

that said most of the neglect come from a human slight in the first place, dams cause water irregularity's that killed the tree that eroded the bank that washed in the fert that made the algae bloom in a adulterated lake that killed the fish!

you are so correct that steward ship is paramount, and at the level that we are involved in the grand scheme of things!

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

:::::believe:::::

killlawn.jpg

9. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We have flooding on a regular basis in Wisco and the trees are always dying whether in the woods or around dams. That is just natural process. We could clean it up or let it accumulate. Nothing to do with us building dams at all.

Kiril, How many trees did they kill to make those signs?? How many of those 'back to nature' types live in synthetic boxes, surrounded by synthetic appliances, and high energy, climate control?

Lawns in my neighborhood use no more resources to maintain than the mower. How much time, money, and wasted resources are involved with maintaining a chunk of asphalt or sidewalk the size of my lawn?

Naturewalks for city folk? Tonnes of skeeter juice and plastic bottles of water pumped out of the ground by an unnatural process that changes entire ecosystems. Protest bottled water then you may get my attention :)

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

ROFL ..... pay closer attention to the other signs. :laugh: