The end of the world as we know it???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

There's an off-shoot conversation in another thread talking about how the demise of lawn care is coming down the pike because LCOs are becoming educated on this site (and elsewhere I'm sure). Basically that's the theme of the talk. I don't buy into this at all, but thought it might make an interesting thread on it's own. So let's hear it. Number of years in the biz is irrelevant, although it would be interesting for everyone to post a comment about how many years you've got in after you use the poll so we can see the cross section.

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

shawn, did you forget the poll?

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I was working on it.....thought I followed the instructions I found via search & it would not take. I didn't even hit submit this thread, I didn't think, and here it is in it's incomplete glory.

So forget the poll.......

Here are some choices I thought made sense. Other suggestions/comments welcome of course.

"What kind of future do you see for LCO operations?"

1. The market is, or will soon be saturated thus dropping prices and making it difficult to earn a living.

2. There is plenty of work for the forseeable future and my rates will not be affected by competition.

3. I believe the market will drop because more educated LCOs are entering the field.

4. I believe the market will be more stable because more educated LCOs are entering the field.

4. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I choose number 4. If more and more of the LCO's are educated by sites like this one I think there will be less of a tendency to low ball bids, and more of the bids will be accurate in their price from a more educated population.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I think there is some truth in all 4.

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the majority of the information shared here will make or break a LCO.

If knowing how to cut grass, kill weeds, repair a trimmer, how much beer to buy your employee, etc. could make a person a successful LCO, there would be an even larger glut than there is. Knowing what to do with the customer after you get them, how to manage your money, employees, time and equipment is what will make or break you, and I don't believe you can learn this from an open forum.

A lot of the newer LCO's that concern people will come here and grab a few tidbits, but how many of them will take the time to pick up a business related book, take an accounting class, or attend a sales seminar. People that just know how to do the basics should acutally help the real businessman LCO prosper, they are out there helping convince John Q Public that having a "professional" take care of the yard is a viable alternative to doing it themselves.

When the lawnboy, doesn't understand that just because you have $400 in you pocket at the end of the day, doesn't mean it is all profit, or how to handle customer complaints John Q will come looking for the businessman that happens to use lawncare as his vehicle to financial independence. Give these new guys the information,thank them for helping with the advertising for professional lawncare, master the business end and you will be there in the end, taking care of the customers they got started.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think this site gives out great information from everything under the sun, to equipment, contracts, advertising, trucks, trailers, you name it, it has been discussed here.
    But what this site LACKS and can't give a member is MOTIVATION AND DRIVE. You have to have these to succeed in any business. You can bs all you want on this site, but if you don't have career goals, long terms plans, and the willingness to put 100% effort in your business, it will eventually fail or stay at a point where it could never be deemed successful.

The majority of people I see cutting grass around here aren't motivated, they are doing this on the side for some jingle in their pocket. So even if they found this site, we wouldn't be threatened.
    Motivation can't be learned by reading about it on the computer. You either have it, or you don't.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

True enough Jodi,
    Problem is with an easy access to information on where to spend the upstart cash and how to do this and that, there is LESS motivation needed to get through the "tough" parts of start up.
    They may never be overly successful, but they WILL take some "jingle" out of other more "motivated" pockets.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I feel that a lot more people are getting into the industry, but I still notice that nobody is really getting certification or degrees toward it.

What worries me more than anything is regulations being handed out by cities, counties, and national goverments in regards to pesticides, noise ordinance, water restrictions, lawn restrictions, erosion control, etc.

10. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Turf medic about summed it up. In another recent thread, a guy asked if he could really get started in the LCO biz with a grand. A few other people and myself said basically, NO, you probly can't. After a little hindsight though, I realise that I said it for the wrong reason, I was thinking from the equipment standpoint. In reality, I really don't think the equipment is of paramount importance, but knowing how to opperate a sucessful Business IS!!!! In reality, a grand won't cover the costs of incorporation, attorney fee's to draw up company policy, liscences, advertisement, etc. These are the things that if you don't have straight will hurt you bad either when starting up, or down the road when you begin to grow... This place has really helped me, I will admit that. However, the knowledge I truly seek is RARELY found here.. Mr. Sean Adams happens to SELL that info. It took me a while to realise that a lot of folks on here have either absolutely no clue on how to cultivate a sucessful business, or are sucessful, and are wise enough not to publish the kind of info on this forum, as some that have in the past were bashed, and chose not to bless the "less business knowledgeable" among us.

I believe the poll is missing the point, or asking the wrong question.. Is the business heading in a more "professional" direction because of the info available on the net'?? Personally, I dont think so. The knowledge required to be sucessful from a corporate stand point is a whole lot more than just having the right equipment, or using contracts, and all of the other constantly recycled threads here. It will take a real business/investor revolution in the industry to accomplish that..