The enemy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmow, May 28, 2003.

1. madmow

madmow LawnSite Member

Today my coworker and I were doing some debris removal and bed edging for someone. Next door there was a crew of guys doing a mulch job. These guys tried not to talk to us all day. We were working next to eachother for the whole day! I tried a wave and so forth and I got nothing. At the end one of the younger guys talked to us, just some small talk. It was cool-- next thing you know the bossman says, "Hey, you down there talking to the enemy!" I laughed, but wasn't sure if he was joking. To me, it was funny because I have 1 truck only and this company had at least 3 trucks for mulching and another cutting crew. Is the little guy always the enemy?

Madden's Mowing

2. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on your overhead.LOL

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Small people kill me. I tend to wave at everyone. Down here I figure it is a way to say man it is hot and I feel your pain. This morning coming into my mechanics shop a LCO had to stop as I made my way into the driveway. The tow headed scunion after me waving decided the best he could do was show me one of his fingers. Do not think he was saying I was number one. No wonder people confuse us with people that live under a bridge when we act that way to our own

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I can't stand guys like that. They just don't get the jist that were all out here doing the same thing... trying to make a living. I am friendly with all the companies around here. It helps. Especially when they need help on a big job they bit off more than they could chew. Smile... you'll live longer! :D

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

You might be a smaller LCO but be the BIGGER man.

6. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

IT never hurts to be on good terms with the competition. However there are those which are not worth your time, whether they be a scrub, or legit.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Its only "competition" if you can handle ALL of the work.

I wave at all of them and talk to whoever I see. My dealer is the owner of a larger commercial mowing/fertilizing business and we get along great. Life is too short to be petty. There are some guys that are always thinking that you are out to get them, you ain't gonna change that attitude by flipping them off or looking away when you pass them.

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

always amazes me to see people in the trades ,be snooty with others .
    in construction u see it all the time.
    i guess something in the nature of being a human ,makes people need somebody to look dn on, or try to.
    always looked on it as a tell tell sighn,
    that the fella has a self esteem weakness.
    a person who recognises it can take advantage of it . but i just overlook that, in a man as, something hes got to grow out of. jmo.

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

the small town lco's usually are friendly, but in the bigger city that I mow in they are snobs.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I try to be friendly with everyone and still wave at the crews that never wave back. Someone has to be the bigger man.

Gravely_Man