The Envy Awards

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Forget the Emmy Awards. This is the Envy Awards. I'm dedicating this thread to things there should be an award for. Rather it's Envy or an outrage, if it fits into the category of "you won't friggin' believe this one" and you think it's worthy of an award, this is the place it should be. I'll start it off....

I put in a municipal bid and all I found out was that I lost. Anyways, time goes by and today I'm on my way back from finding out I just lost 7 other bids. As I'm coming up on this municipal account I lost I can see a white service van and a landscape trailer sitting just off the road there parked in an L. So I'm thinking to myself, "wonder who did win that bid? I'll just check out the lettering on the van if there is any."

As I pass by the van where I can see the lettering I read....
    NC Division of Prisons
    No this is not an April Fool's joke either. There's some armed guards watching a bunch of inmates slinging mulch in the beds.

:angry: :cool: N. Mate's Lawn Service :cool: :angry:

And you thought 'your' competition was a bunch of crooks!!!
    Now that's got to qualify for an award or two.

Got one worthy of an award? Go for it!

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

haha that sucks. They do all of the cemetaries and public area around here. They actually do a decent job!

3. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

Its really not such a bad deal. At least the tax payers are getting a little more for there money.
    Who knows, one of those guys might come out and be the next Gamba, or Elm.

4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We lost a high visibilty traffic account two years ago because of price issues. This company had insisted on quality over price,insurance to the max, all paper documentation,etc..., but didn't re new that year. One day we stopped in for some lunch, and saw theses guys mowing. What a joke!! They were using all push mowers like Crapsmans and Yard Mans(there were 4 of them), they were mowing over trash and debris instead of picking it up, and they (tried to)used the mower to blow the clippings off the edge of the parking lot. When they left, they got in an old Ford Ranger, 2 in the front, and 2 in the back of the bed with 2 mowers.The other 2 mowers were in a 4x8 el cheapo trailer.

Here we found out the store manager had been transferred, and the first thing the new guy did was hire his family or something.Needless to say, we have that account back now, but it was surreal watching these 4 guys doing our account, and making it look so bad until we took it back in the fall.

5. Envy Lawn Service

That's pretty ironic because I was by there today and they did do a pretty decent job on the mulch part. But on the other hand, if some of these scrubs around here had bosses like their's, they'd probably do a little better too. Nothing like a boss and a few foremans equipped with a shotgun and a sidearm to get them motivated to do quality work!!!!!

6. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

What part of NC you from?

7. Envy Lawn Service

Western NC Foothills area.

8. Vladslawn

Vladslawn LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear you getting burned like that. It doesn't appear right nor fair; especially when dealing with a municipal government?

IMO, it appears to be a conflict of interest for the Municipal and State governments to partake in an open public tendering process, creating an unfair and non level competitive enviroment. Governments don't (nor should they) compete with the private sector. Just my thoughts.

Lodging a complaint may be appropriate. Although, I don't know whom to recommend the complaint to be logded with. Maybe someone else on this site would know the appropriate Department/Agency?

It cost you time and lost revenue; by you wasteing your time & energy in that competitive process that you never had a chance in. Not right!

Hope I'm not too long winded here. Hope you can recover the lost revenue.

Vlad

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Damn scrubs!!!!!!!!;) ;)

10. Envy Lawn Service

No, not too long winded at all. I'm just going to brush it off though. It's no big deal to me as I have run up against much worse just speaking of the private sector only. I have no beef with them getting pretty good work for free or very little from our inmates. What I have a problem with is tax dollars given to the lowest private bidder that does crappy work costing us many more tax dollars that we saved for buying scrub services. Such was the case last season which was leading into serious cost for this season.

Want to know what's worse? I'll give you another example of one I ran into this year that deserves an award. I go out to bid a 2 acre residential. After getting there I wasn't real excited about the job in the first place. There were 58 trees on the property and all of them would shed leaves in the fall. But I measured and bid anyways.

When I went back to return the bid I just had to leave it for the guy. He called to say thank you and informed me that he wanted to get at least one other bid from a guy with nice equipment who he saw driving by his house all last year and a few times this year. So I told him no problem, I'll check in with you next time I'm down that way or you can just give me a call.

Well I ended up in the area before he called so I stopped by. He had just gotten a bid from this other guy earlier that morning. Now get this...... this dummy bid $35 a cut/visit for 2 acres and trimming around 58 trees plus the leaf work!!!! Needless to say I almost hit the ground! I couldn't help but laugh and say are you kidding me??? He said no and showed the bid to me. At that point I had to ask what kind of nice equipment does this guy have? A Toro zero turn. I'm thinking to myself 'financed business' yada yada yada.

So I turn to the guy and say that's what? $17.50 and acre trimmed plus leaf work? He says yeah. I said look you can do what you want but you gotta know something ain't right there. He says yeah, but he must be doing OK somehow because he's back from last year. So he must be making money somehow and I guess I'll give him a try.

I said OK, but here is one of my cards in case he realizes he's cut his own throat and doesn't come back after the first cut or two. Matter of fact.... for $17.50 an acre.... here take two, one for you and one for him. If he does good work give him my card, I can keep him busy as long as he wants to work at those crazy rates. We both laughed and I walked off snickering.....