The 'Expendable' Lawn Man

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by turfquip, Aug 31, 2005.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Some of you young guys full of vinegar need to wake up and recognize a few things:

If fuel costs continue to rise, at some point discretionary spending(i.e. lawn service) will have to diminish. Its a simple guns versus butter issue. Will people give up their SUV's before the lawn service? Simply - NO. The need for transportation is precedent.

Mindlessly supporting this administration and their policies is a sign of ignorance. Yes, Clintons and the dems were/are an embarrassment, but think about our valuable assets being expended in Iraq on false pretenses. I support our troops, don't get me wrong.

Pertaining to oil...think about where free enterprise, combined with an administration with oil 'interests' have us now. Oil profits are at an all time high. Oil stocks are good investments. Price gouging? Yep, while cheerleaders like Hannity, Bill Cunningham and other neocons keep us focused on 'freedom' in the Middle East. Those people have been fighting since the beginning of time.

The whole filthy stinking situation is intertwined. A dog and pony show. Smoke and mirrors. Wake up you young pissers!

Don't bother telling me to like it or leave it. I'm not going anywhere.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Very little of that made any sense to me, none of it is anything new, we've always been disposable even in the days of 99cent fuel.

Now an American that loves their SUV is a creature of comfort, a spoiled brat... And a spoiled brat is JUST as likely to keep paying someone else to do the lawn as doing it themselves would mean actual physical labor (ewwwww).

You are correct on the other part, the entire thing with the price of fuel is an influenced scenario. Don't get me wrong the shortage of supply is real but yes, they COULD change things but then it's just not in their best interest. Besides, what's the problem, fuel is only NOW beginning to settle at the price where it should be anyway.

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

where the cost of fuel shoud be, he knows everthing, remember....

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

THE spoiled brats will still have there lawn cut but by the guy with the cheepest price
    it is comming and its gonna hurt

5. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Perhaps to some degree, but this depends on the area you service. Where I live all new subdivisions (and most up to 10 years old) are deed restricted communities. If you live in these communities it is REQUIRED that your lawn be kept cut and the properties are all irrigated. Now, if they're young and have the time, sure, some will do it themselves.....however, in my area most residents are elderly and can't be out in our 97+ degree heat mowing their yards each week even if they wanted to. These are also affluent people in subdivisions where the average home price is around $400,000. So regardless what the price of gas goes to, they will pay the going rate for lawn care. And with the amount of growth in my county (2000+ new homes built in 2004) it's not hard to find lawns to mow willing to pay what you charge.

Now I realize, for people in other areas with different types of clients, the price of fuel will have more of an impact.

6. rtr

rtr LawnSite Member

LMAO! No matter how many times I hear/see this tired old line, it never gets old! LOL! How was woodstock? Anyway you really have no clue what your saying regarding Oil profits/price gouging. Damn the Man!! payup payup payup payup

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

No offense rtr, but he's right....Glad you think its funny when you pay 4 bucks a gallon....

8. milo

milo LawnSite Bronze Member

i love the people who think the cost of gas does not bother them. i have a nissan and a mazda as our family cars that do 20 to 25 mpg in the city and it still bothers me. $34.00 to fill a 99 altima. now that just is not right. i could remember when it was $18.50 to fill. and when gas in the ninty's was .85 cents a gallon.. wow the good old days. lol

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The whole economy is going to crash. Don't believe me? Just watch. It's coming.

10. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree. The situation with the hurricane is going to put a huge spanking on the economy, then when the idiots keep sticking it to us with fuel prices get up to 4 or 5 bucks a gallon and people realize they can't afford to drive to work its all gunna go down hill. payup we're f'd