The fall that won't fall

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnsaspire, Oct 26, 2013.

1. lawnsaspire

lawnsaspire LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone else noticed how green the trees are still? Here it is late October with two hard freezes so far and many trees have yet to change color. May be doing leaf cleanups in January!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Yes! Been thinking the same thing.
  3. bel-nor

bel-nor LawnSite Member

Good leaf cleanup won"t interfere with deer and rabbitt season for once.
  4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

It may be that the trees will drop their leaves without changing color. Locally, some are blaming that on the very wet spring and summer.
  5. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

i agree here in south jersey not much color .leaves have been falling slow but steady . some trees like ash and locust are about done . bradford's are still dark green . but we had our first frost the other night so that should help with them falling..
  6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

Around here they are either all gone or still green. Hardly any of the oaks have turned... I'd say 90% of the maple, hickory, elm are gone. The Populars are ready to drop.
  7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its been the worst October Ive had, I went to 2 year round houses last week and they looked like they did when I left them the last service, so I came back home.

It was cold last night so Im thinking the leaves will start to fall soon
  8. WorldsStrongestLandscaper

WorldsStrongestLandscaper LawnSite Member

Up here in ct we Are 10-14 ahead of our best october...we have had many weeks inbetween rain storms ...even 8 weeks in march april...summer was dry too sothe leaves twnd to shed their leaves early to store food and energy for the winter..we will start our cleanups early and end b4 thanksgiving....usually I'm hoping it doesent snow all theway to december 7th...then I'm ripping off the boxes and trying to put the plows/Sanders on in a frantic panic lol....good luck to all .Big Steve
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I was just commenting on that to my wide a couple hours ago. There's plenty of color here, but plenty of green for this time of year too. What's really odd is that the oaks have turned color a lot already, and dropping like crazy, yet the trees that are normally very colorful or dropped by this time, are still green and heavily leaved out yet.
  10. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Its the coldest October I can remember. It frosted last night hard.