The Famous "Got my WB stuck in a back yard." thread

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ric, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

This a Copy and Paste of the most famous thread on Lawnsite.

New account with four wide wood trimmed stairs leading down to a large back yard. End of the day, not thinking clearly, tired, don't want to use the 21 on this back yard. Take the WB slowly down the stairs with deck tilted back. Cut the back & suddenly realize I have to get the WB BACK UP THE STAIRS. Dropped off the help before this job. Tilt the deck back & make a slow run at the first step (pretty steep), no go, increase speed make another run, no go. Wood is getting scraped. No way I'm going to make it up four steps. Unlock the hydro & pull. Doesn't work. Customer comes out, sees the scraped wood & me sweating & pushing at the bottom step. I tell her the machine broke down & I will restain the wood. She gives me an evil look (don't blame her) & watches as I push, pull, twist, lift, to no avail. Finally after about 15 min. I tell her I'll be right back. Phone everyone I know, answering machines, left lotsa URGENT messages. That WB is still sitting in her back yard. I'm so fu**** STUPID. What would you have done besides not take it down the steps?

Thought of a ramp about an hour after the stores closed. I had my face pressed up against the glass at the locked lumber store.

Went back to the customers house yesterday morning with two employees, lumber, circular saw, wood stain & a sander. WB IS GONE! I am in shock. Then I see the wood fence at the back of the property has been smashed through. At this point I'm sure the WB was stolen. Walk over to the smashed fence & see the WB front end up against a tree in the adjoining yard. Blade was running because both my customers, & the neighbors flower garden have been chopped up. Take the WB out through the adjoining yard, sand & restain the steps & leave. Got a message from the customer last night to call her, but haven't been able to get through yet. Hoping the husband did this & not some kid looking to steal a WB so I don't have to pay for the damage. The fact the blade was running when it crashed through the fence makes me think it wasn't a theft attempt. If the hubby or one of their kids did it I'm not at fault & shouldn't fix the fence ????
    I had my guys cut the adjoining yard because of the path the mower made from the garden to the tree. Not sure if that was a good idea.

FYI this thread had 96 replies and 4666 views and was reprinted in Turf Magzine.
    olderthandirt, geogunn and Avery like this.
  2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Ric for bringing this back. I had forgotten how hard I laughed when that was first posted. If anyone ever makes a movie about a 'lawn boy', this scene should be in it.
    Ric likes this.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I read that post about a month ago when someone posting a link to it.

Before I started my own biz, I worked for one LCO for over 10 years, I've got a few real stories to rival this one. I've often thought about compiling them and publishing a book. I think even if someone had no interest in lawn care the stories would be hilarious enough to make it a best-seller.

"Lawn-Boys Lawn-Boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they're cutting for you..."
  4. pfifla1

pfifla1 LawnSite Member

man, i cant see this ever happening to me.. must have been high

Yup, that's how a lot of these things happen...
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

There are a few more I can think of that would be fun to re-post also. I am sure you have a few you can remember also. However this one is truly a classic. I guess if we can't laugh at our own industry we just can't laugh. "Lawn Boy" starring Adam Sandler, filmed in Ontario. I can see it now.

Billy Bob Thornton could play Adam Sandler's half-drunk, half-high boss.
  8. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

I read his post from the link you supplied, and under his name Calvin it shows he was banned from the sight. Was interested in knowing why, do you know?

9. pfifla1

pfifla1 LawnSite Member

i have ended up in a creek before, and stuck in a ditch, but never such forseeable problems. lol
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A lot of old names to some of those post. Ahhhhhh the memories!!!