The fight for work has started

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, May 26, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The work is becoming slim pickings the fighting and arguing is starting with the excavation contractors. I was talking to one contractor I had to walk away the guy was bad mouthing one of the other guys I know who is working honestly. Everybody is after the same job.

A friend that is in the dump truck business parked his truck and found a different job he said there isn't any money left in it even with the hourly rate at 100 dollars per hour. He owes nothing on his truck so he parked it. The cost of fuel is sky high currently at 5.40 a gallon and the dirt hauling work dried up.

Another contractor friend is really struggling to keep enough work to make the 8 grand a month equipment payments supposidly he is at the point now he doesn't care. The other contractors are doing low or non paying jobs to keep the guys busy.

A contractor from Vancouver Island I know said he is finished for the rest of the year the municipalities have cut back on their budgets and said no more spending and canceled most of the contracts. He wasn't happy when I talked to him he said in the 15 years he has been in business he has never had this happen. With forestry being the largest employer on Vancouver Island and tourism being slow moral on Vancouver Island is pretty low. B.C. keeps exporting jobs to China.

I hope the local contractors in my area can hold out I hate to see these guys laying off the employees and the contractors fighting with each other. The work is drier than a pop corn fart with the realestate market stalled. When realtors that been in the biz for 30 years saying its bad it must be.

You guys say that I'am gloom and doom I'am not the only one it is all over now with the unemployment rate rising. The excavation contractors are a little worried now the equipment payments never stop when the work stops.

2. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

dear Chicken Little.......since it is all over and the sky has fallen, where would you like me to send the bullet? Ya still don't get it.......So we are in a manure pile and all you see is horse poop.........me, I know there is a pony here somewhere and I am gonna find him.....

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It's becoming hard not to notice the lack of work here too, I am just returning after 2 weeks of no work, and I am always busy at least 5 hours every day.
    One good thing about the impending "doom and gloom" is that property values here are finally starting to taper off now, and there are less "others" buying farms for blue berries, and more and more are being sold off as "flips", but they are stuck with them.

4. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is if you can pull through this and can keep your business going for the next couple of years until things start to rebound then it will prove you are a great business owner and those who go under where the weak and are now out of the business. The strong will survive and the weak will shut down. In a couple of years things will get better, this is nothing that has not happened before. It happens every 10 years, it just always seems worse every time.

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Do you have suicidal tendencies?
    Are you feeling depressed?
    Do you have a hard time getting out of bed with an overwhelming feeling of lack of self worth?
    Do you have a history of depression in your family?
    Any mental Illness?

Seriously you need too see a Doctor.

Thankfully I live in the good ole USA.

6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

It has been a little slow this spring and have lost some work but that happens every year. I wouldn't say it is bad, I am picking stuff up because we have openings and others are booked out. Later in the year looks real good if the projects stay on schedule. One bonus is people will now pay $80 an hour for a quad dump(might have to get one) and black dirt price has crept up.

7. tbi

tbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Humm, I live in one of the poorest, welfare rich counties in NY.
    Very bad economic area compared to the rest of the state and country.
    Yet for half of us business is booming. I've got 15 guys running 50-60 hours a week. The other half is starving according to them. I have no idea why even with prices on the rise. Commercial and public work is still booming. For a State that claims to be broke they sure are spending the pork money.

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It is that way here as well. Some guys are busy and others are only working a couple days a week. Thats bad out here, Winters are long and cold. I am thankful that I have a full plate. I actually need to get off the computer and go dig on a 4K commercial building.

9. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, I have said it before and I will say it again. A man has to be diversified in today's economy meaning try to have many things going. I can tell you in my area excavating is slow and we have only had to date a little over a month and a half of somewhat good weather. We still have crops to plant due to all the rain and cold weather. Looks like we are going to have some replant also. Like they say rough times make you stronger and those that don't survive get out. In this slow time I am focusing more on learning more about the business and making sure all the equipment is in good working order. I try to make the best of it. As for the day job it is still there also. Hang in there. Like Reba McEntire said (Walk on things don't stay bad too long)

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have suicidal tendencies?
    Yes, but only on Mondays.

Are you feeling depressed?
    Yes, but only until my goofy pills kick in.

Do you have a hard time getting out of bed with an overwhelming feeling of lack of self worth?
    Yes, but only with morning wood.

Do you have a history of depression in your family?
    Yes, but only when we are sad.

Any mental Illness?
    Nope, the big purple bunny doesn't think so. :laugh::laugh: