The first key to backstabbing.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdvaden, Apr 1, 2003.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Have any of you ever had other companies follow you - knowing your prices are higher - to learn your accounts, then drop off estimates that are lower?

Do you know of a 2nd key to back-stabbing, and have you found safeguards?

:blob3:

2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

How would they know what you charge? Are you telling me they ask the homeowner what they pay and then bid lower?

If you would lose a customer like this, then good riddance!

Seems like a lot of speculation on your part.

3. LANDGUARD

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

The only way to combat companies that use tactics like that is to do excellent work, keep a professional image, be reliable, and don't look back after you are finshed with your accounts or you won't be able to sleep at night.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

5. mdvaden

Just one way to tell, and that's what I should have brought up in the first place - I can read in forums like this, how one guy tells another that a price is too low. And how the one company is $60 higher on such and such an area of that certain size.

If someone knows who posts the reply, and they are local, they would have a basis for guestimating a price.

One not mentioned, would be having already taking a client where another company had bid, with the client revealing what company B quoted. That would be a second way to access a company B rate.

What got me thinking about this, was noting the freedom with which rates are posted in here in relation to specific details of size or hours.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Throw it in reverse and then insist he hit you from behind. Be sure to have the reciever hitch on so it takes his radiator out. This way you will have a couple of days without your shadow.
    ;)

7. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

GOOD ONE!!!:D

8. mdvaden

Oh yeah, that's good. Not politically correct, but certainly disabling.

You can start a post "Hitches of mass destruction".

This concept is interesting, because there is a very large company in the Beaverton, Oregon area, that is professional in appearance, equipment and communication, that purposely offers good technical service, with a goal to under-cut.

On some jobs, profit has not been the issue, as long as employees get paid well, and good profit already flows in.

The goal is to grow larger, to gain benefits of buying materials in quantity, and building large flexible resources of labor and equipment.

That's one stage toward undermining certain other companies.

9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

I cannot for the life of me, understand where you are getting this from. I suppose anything is possible but,unless you give a clients name and address on here, how in the world could they appply the info to any specific yard?:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
    Sharing info and helping each other is what this forum is about. How informative would it be to say, " How much should I charge on ____________?" And get an answer of " ALOT! " Or " more than a little. "

10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

With your sentence structure I cant understand anything you are saying or asking, but why don't you follow him around and tell his customers "we will give you quality lawn service for only $XX more than your current jerk".