The "Front Only" or "Edge & Line Trim Only" customer:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jun 12, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Do you take them? Aren't these generally PITA customers?

I have taken them and a few are good clients, but the percentages show them to be largely PITA clients who seldom stay on the schedule long term.

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

due to our general market being somewhat older and most own lawn tractors we do take these customers on a personal decision basis. We have 5 that we trim and edge only for and its worked out well. We charge premium for it. They are rarly picky and they pay at time of service.

Your situation would be much different I would think. When you send your many crews out and they get busy in the heat they might forget this ones trim only and do your full service on it. I would have to say if your going to go thru the hassels of it (then again do you want your crew on a property with a less than proffesional lawn and other potential clients seeing this???) then you should charge premium for it.

As for front only if the backs gated or something I would do that.

I would think with the tight routes you run you wouldnt have time for the pitas. If you got some lag time with your crews doing nothing you may wanna consider taking what you can get to fill in thoes spaces. What would it take to convert them to full service clientel ?

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

We only have one of those right now. We keep it for one major reason. We also have their commercial property in a very good location.

Every once in a while we get someone to ask us if we could just trim or edge one time while we are next door at their neighbors. If we have time we will do it.

4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

I have no problem with front only customers, we charge the same as we would to do the front and back. I've not had anyone ask me to trim only but would do that as well for the same price as a full service. The price is the price is the price.

5. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

got a couple front onlys... we charge the same amount 1 is $3 cheaper and you get out in and out fast... what else can you ask for

And i cant see how they are PITA customers they usually the ones that dont care and i dont see them ever

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Taking "edge and trim" only and only mow my "front yard" and even one time mows/jobs are for kids, teenagers and those LCO's that really don't have enough client base to really be in business and/or have a negative to low cash flow. They are not for professional LCO's!

7. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

If you say so... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

8. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have one lady that insists on me not trimming...ever. I figured it into the price though in case she ever changed her mind:clapping: She says she likes to leave a little for the rabbits.

9. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well well MM
    I had a trim only that turned into the mowing, and landscape maintenance, and insect control.
    Two years later I earned the business of the HOA in that neighborhood and seven other lawns on the same street.
    I guess it works out for some of us!
    BTW, I'm not a teenager and have been full time since 97.

10. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Could somebody please post a spec. sheet for being a pro lco. i'm having a h*ll of a time staying up with the current standards.