The fuel prices are getting out of hand

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

What is with the oil companies trying to kill the economy even more with these high diesel prices. Currently diesel is 1.309 a litre or 4.84 a gallon :angry:

What is the prices doing in the rest of North America ?

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

On road is $4.20ish here, not sure about offroad. 87 octane is $3.48 for the decent stuff, 10 cents cheaper for junk fuel.

I wanted to buy a small pickup, my F150 is getting too many miles on it and the mileage isn't the best once I start driving a lot for work in July. Going to buy a Honda Civic that gets 35MPG, don't really care if anyone makes fun of me, I'm estimating 400 miles a week and driving anything else would just kill the budget for fuel every month.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I don't drive 400 miles a week but I do put on about 240 miles a week and on my days off I rarely go anywhere.

For the trucking industry these fuel prices are going to either shut down the industry or the rates have to go up. I haven't checked on what marked fuel is at but its gotta be up there too.

I guess the days are long long gone when fuel was cheap :laugh:

What I really hate the most is the gas stations that jack up the price of fuel on fuel they paid a lower price on. The price increases but they bought the fuel when it was cheaper. It is a big profit for the owner of the gas station.

You look back when our parents were our age with cars that used to run 450 or more cubic engines with 4bbl carburetors. The old Caddilacs with 500 cid engines. Getting 10 mpg was top of the line :dizzy:

I think the most fuel efficient diesel P/U trucks would be a Chevy 3/4 ton 2wd with 6.2 power, Ford 3/4 ton 2wd 6.9 power and Dodge(88-89) 2wd 3/4 ton Cummins (150hp). All 3 you could run bio fuel all of them pushing the 20mpg mark depending on how you drive it. The 6.2 Chev is a pretty good fuel miser not much power. The first Dodge Cummins is next it was good on fuel had a rotary fuel pump not big power. The 6.9 Fords were good the 7.3s were not that good. A 2wd truck with 3:55 gears is a must the Dodge could get away with 3:08s in flat lands.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I had a Chevy 6.2, that motor was JUNK. My grandpa bought it new in '82, I got it when I turned 16, I had it for 1.5 years and put 1 tranny in it, set of batteries, injector pump, alternator, starter, injectors, glow plugs, new block heater. Truck only had 120K miles on it, my grandpa took real good care of it and except for the injectors, glow plugs, and block heater, everything else had been replaced at least once. After the 2nd tranny I threw in the towel with that truck, it just didn't hold up.

I will give that truck some credit, even with 4wd I routinely saw 18-19 MPG on the highway, easy. However, I refuse to own another 2wd truck. I have one right now and it feels like such a waste. At 204K on my F150, it runs pretty good, I just don't trust it driving that many miles per week. I can't afford to not make it to work. I've found a wad of Civics with 100-120K miles on them for $5K around here, they're easy to work on and parts are fairly inexpensive. The price of gas is what it is, I'd like to drive a fullsize 4x4 all the time, just can't afford it in this lifetime until hydrogen becomes a cheap form of energy in 20-30 years.

5. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

Hey I hope I can say this being the New Guy ,Davis Oil in West Chester Pa. Cheapest fuel prices around .20-.30 under normal

6. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had Ford with the 6.9L diesel for several years, unfortunately. That is a terd of an engine, and I don't care if some guys have 200K on theirs. I had to replace the injection pump twice, it had no where near the power of some older Chevy 350 gas engines, and I was lucky to get 15MPG on the highway not pulling anything.

On a quiet night you could hear it rust. It was painted twice after purchased brand new (once on a recall). Oil pan rusted out and the tranny had to be pulled to replace it. When I sold the truck it only had 75K original miles. Other than the fact that it looked nice, the truck and engine was a piece of junk. Don't even get me started on the I beam suspension. Alignments and tires were getting as normal as an oil change. I wouldn't recommend that truck or that engine to anybody.:nono:

7. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Look on the bright side..........at least it's not 1.30 EUROS !

8. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

What economy are you talking about? You can only control what is in your power......pass the cost on. You must be reading the paper again on all the negative news GR. What do you expect from a finite resource? The USA has been artifically low for years......Europe has been paying $4-5 a gallon for diesel for years. The big players are just chopping up the world dividing and controlling natural resources. Maybe when the pain becomes enough, there will be a concious group change and we will not be a disposable economy.......I still believe if Exxon owned the sun, we would all be solar powered. Do what is in your power and change your reality, read a book and forget the tabloid hype in the newspapers......

9. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

my dad is a rice farmer and has been running two tractors for the past two weeks now that burn 125 gallons each every day...

10. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Well said.

I agree on passing the cost too the customer and a year ago it would have been possible.The housing boom allowed the village idiot too get into this industry and the job prices were whacked.There was an unlimited amount of work and it drove the prices down.
    Now we are in a serious lull and Mexicans are leaving Atlanta by the bus load.
    Most of the lowballers are dropping like flys and I am selling better jobs for more profit than ever.
    So I feel the fuel prices and this recession have help the industry here in Georgia from a Business standpoint.
    Offroad is still 3.20 a gallon here.On road is 3.89 to 4.00.
    I use 50 too 70 gallons a week in my truck.
    We were at 3.20 a gallon so that equals 160 to 224 dollars a week.
    Now at 4.00 a gallon I use 200 to 280 a week.

On average 50 dollars a week more which only averages out too about 2 k more a year which is a drop in the bucket.I can make that difference up on just a few jobs.
    I n reality you just need too raise your price just a few percent which is insignificant.
    Inflation alone forces at least a 4 to 5 % increase in costs yearly and you are not fussing about that.