The funny things clients do when your are there.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by txgrassguy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I had a good one yesterday.
    Applying several different modes of action herbicide plus an insecticide to a high end ($1million+) condo association.
    The POA president comes out and tries talking to me.
    I am wearing a suit, respirator and boots and this idiot wants to stand with-in 25' of me and talk.
    I didn't even know the guy was there until he started coughing.
    To this day I am continually amazed at how stupid people are:dizzy:
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe he wanted to help you while you stayed in the truck to keep cool.:laugh:
  3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We often see neighbors (usually retired) pull out their mowers as soon as we pull up and treat their neighbors' lawns. It's comical. I guess it's human nature, cuz when I get old, I will be doing the same thing? lol
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I was spraying my Grandmas several weeks ago (think she is like 78 or so), and here I am out in her front lawn spraying. I see her walk out the front door in her gown and bare feet. I was looking at her as she walked out and she just proceeded to start to walk out into the lawn where I had just sprayed!
    I hollar at here and say "Grandma, what are you doing?" and she said, "Oh I just wanted to pick up the sticks in the yard." Remember she is in her bare feet and I am spraying. So I told her to go back in the house and that I would remove the sticks! Before I left....I told her to stay in the house and not go out in the lawn for the rest of the day, because I knew she would get back out into the lawn. Gotta love the old people espcially Grandma! People just don't think I guess...but atleast my Grandma has an excuse.
  5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

You have no idea how crazy people can be. I worked for a number of years spraying trees in and around the San Francisco bay area. Spraying a lawn is one thing, shooting a plume 80' into the air is quite another :). After being harrassed by enough people I decided that they either just want to watch what you are doing or getting in your way is a passive aggressive way for them to tell you they don't like what you are doing.

The worst incident I was involved in, I used to spray a long row of 50' Sycamores with oil for scale. The 1st year we did 3 treatments before, during, after budbreak. It was on a little back country road, zero traffic at 5:30am. With the big bright colored truck and a few cones out I was spraying and a cyclist "buzzed me", almost hit when he went by and looked back glaring at me from down the street. Thinking my site wasn't defined enough, the next visit I put out more cones. Same thing happened again with the same guy. WTF?

Third visit I had millions of cones out, no way he didn't understand. He rode right through into my area and caught me by surprise. I saw something in the corner of my eye and I swung around and he hit the 3/4" hose and crashed!! I immediately went to help him and he jumped up. I could see he was horribly embarassed but was yelling at me about how I was pretty much single handedly destroying the enviornment.

I listened to him for a minute, while I was figuring out how to diffuse the situation I walked away from him back to the truck and got my "accident camera" to photograph the site. He couldn't believe what I was doing and when he asked I told him I was collecting evidence. At that point he started simmering down I think realizing what he had done.

I was freaked out, not knowing what this loose cannon was going to try and sue us for. But I never heard from him again. One of the photos was a gem, you could see the truck blocking the area from traffic, all of the cones lined out, him yelling at me, and his bike wrecked right in middle of the area :) .

I did see him again the following year, hitting the brakes way at the end of the street and taking the close to a mile detour around the area :). Sorry for the long post but as applicators sometimes weird things can happen.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Yesterday, I was spot spraying crabgrass & nutsedge. Next door neighbor comes out and asks if I'm the pest exterminator...I said no, I'm spot spraying weeds. He said, okay - just curious. Then his kids came out the front door, also letting their two dogs out. Guess where the dogs ended up? Yep...they were lickin' the grass that I just sprayed. Curious neighbors for sure, cuz they were still trying to round up the dogs even after I left -- husband, wife, and 3 kids >> HEY, at least it was a family event...LOL
  7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

the mundane bland life of the cookie cutter burbs, they come out in flocks to break the monotony:)
  8. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Why can't they just wait until your done to come out and talk to you. :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  9. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Use to have this old couple for spraying and I'd knock on the door to tell them I'm here to spray the lawn,but nobody would answer the door. I knew they were home because when I would be spraying you see the curtains move over and they would watch. When I finished all of the sudden they come out and said they didn't hear me knock. that went on for 6 years.:hammerhead:
  10. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

My new answer to people who ask (after they just walked on a lawn that I sprayed and have flagged) is it safe to walk on the lawn: are you planning on having anymore children?