1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the future in lawncare.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

belongs to the "scrub". the cheaply run company, with minimal employees, and a working white foreman, and old beat up equipment, who does a half azzed (but commercially acceptible) job, is the one who will control the lawn industry in the future...the very near future. the bigger companies with crews and expensive shiny trucks, will cease to exsist. a perfect example is a client i recently picked up. he lawn guy (for many yrs) raised his rates again. this 2,500 sq ft lawn, was now costing her $37. simply put, the former lawn guy explained to her that the cost of doing business is skyrocketting, and he needs to raise fees. he is correct. however, a $40,000 truck, pulling a huge enclosed trailer, containing $30,000 worth of equipment, will be his demise. yup, image is everything. i bid a nifty $27 on this lawn. ........anyhow, todays consumer, which is clear for all of us to see, demands an affordable service, of acceptible quality. they also demand, to have english speaking white boys present at the job site. as far as appearance, they don't care if you pull up in a ricshaw. the medium range priced scrub, who can control his overhead, will prosper. thank you for listening
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

not a chance of him controlling the lawn industry, but there will be enough work for him. there are more than enough people willing to pay that extra $$ for someone who looks professional and does a professional job...Both in comercial and residential work.

its for the same reason Kia's sell as well as BMW's and Mercedes. Gotta pick your market and persue it.

I was with TGLC when they tried to residential grass cutting in the DC area.....Misreable failure. They had no idea. The market would support their prices, but the people did not know whow to budget their time or set up their routes. But they know how to do commercial properties and thats what they refocused on...

Personally, I could never be a "budget lawnbow" so to speak. I have too much pride in my appearance and my equipment. But that does not mean that I focused solely on the high end market either...

But I know youre just fanning the flames, and you wont agree with anything I said, but thats ok.
  3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

totally agree. I charge a good price for a good job. I price myself in the lower to midrange and keep all my customers in a five mile radius. The guys that have to drive 30-45 min each way just to work in my town have to have higher prices due to higher cost. I'm not lowballing becuase my cost are lower. I buy the right equipment and give great service to my customers. I could care less if everyone has to charge 5 more bucks than me becuase I'm able to make the same amount of money.
  4. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

I laugh every year watching these "pretty boys" pulling $50,000+ worth of stuff in a new trailer with a $50,000 truck.
    I roll up in my 4 banger wrangler with $10,000 worth of stuff and charge $17.00 per lawn.
  5. spinrider2000

spinrider2000 LawnSite Member

bobbygedd, very interesting statement. Every business has to answer to the bottom line as to financials. The small operator with minimal commercial equipment, good customer relations, and an understanding of what is important will win the day. I hear it every day.... "you need a _____ mower". Sure I would like to have it. Just to have it, not!

Price appears to be the driving factor. I would guess the LCO should control cost and then supply an on-time service and fair pricing. From where I am with customers, I see many LCO's treating a lawn service as a sweep in/sweep out service. It is not. When prices continue to drop (labor is getting cheaper) the only way to stay in business is the customer relationship. If I am wrong then I will graciously exit the scene! thanks
  6. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

How Much and what kind of Blade grinder thing
    Fair price - good job - '87 F150 - '94 Cub Commercial Hydro Walkbehind - new Lesco 60" ZTwo - 12' open trailer - single axle
    i saw a guy, i swear with a 40K SUV pulling 30" enclosed trailer - elite lawn care or something - how can he compete???
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Need to remeber, that the guy with a 30-40K truck and 20-30K worth of equipment, has no desire to compete with you...Just for the same reason not many has any desire to "compete" with chem lawn. Mcdonalds has no desire to compete with "outback", diferent markets.

I know I can do a better job than TGCL, but it will cost more...I'll never beat TGCL at spraying lawns, they do it cheaper and faster....and sometimes they get it right.... Id rather charge a bit more, do it right all the time, and if means I have to give up 5% profit margin since it takes me longer since i communicate with the client, or run newer equipment, or clean uniforms so be it....I know that I'll have the customer next year sicne they will be happy and I'll be happy.
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

even a lowballer has overhead, and most of them arent smart enough to figure out what that is....... usually around 9 to 10 dollars an hour to run there company, so then they make 7 bucks an hour when all is said and done with there 17 dollar yard...
    :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

i think unfortunatly bobbys assesment is somewhat correct......but they still need to charge enough to make a profit, or they are gone the next year or 2 also...
  9. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

How many lawns per hour? 1? no way. My goal is 10 per hour this year. Very small lots all in a row.
  10. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ever well put, I would have agree. :usflag:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.