The future of LCO's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by out4now, Dec 15, 2004.

1. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Give your perspective. Mine is this, some company will decide to offshore to China and build cheaper equipment then even more scrubs will pop up and prices will go even lower with the changing market. I can't believe no company has done it already to offer a ZTR or a good walk behind really cheap to capture market share. I think it's a matter of time. Once one manufacturer does it with real success the rest will have to follow. What do you guys think?

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

So you want the price of equipment to go up?

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I wouldnt mind it, It would be better, it'd keep the prices at a decent rate, and keep scrubs out of business. Im not saying I want every mower to be 50 grand, but a little price hike wouldnt hurt the big guys, Im not a big guy, but i'd be willing to spend a good amount of cash on something if not alot of people had it. If ya know what I mean :)

4. out4now

from AZ

No, just saying that I think this will be the trend in the future. Everyones going like Wal-mart. I think one thing that does help you guys a bit is that the cost of real good equip is so high. It keeps some of your would be competitors out. If the price of equip. gets much higher I don't see how any LCO could actually make it.

5. out4now

from AZ

Premier beat me to it.

6. packerbacker

How do you know it would keep them out? We are talking about guys who DONT pay taxes, they DONT pay insurance, they DONT pay for lisencing. You would think they would have more money to purchase the equipment then guys like us who drop 10-12,000 a year in taxes. Seems backwards to me.

And even if he did have a point, jacking up the price will keep nobody out, it will just open up the "used" equipment market more.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

scrubs will still be out there on old lowe's mower's and other mtd's and craftsman's etc.

8. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of looks like your going out of business since your selling your equipment. And the equipment you do have is kinda crappy. To me it doesnt look like you could afford to buy a ztr for anymore then they are now, or even buy one now matter of fact. Don't be so hating with scrubs, how did all the other companies start up? A lot of them started as scrubs an gained knowledge an experience. And they grew into a big operation.

9. packerbacker

Thats true, no matter what happens there is always someone else out there.

Some people here tend to throw the word scrub around freely. The fact is they will always be out there and the best way to take care of them is to mind you own business and do the best job you can. Prove to your customers that they NEED you and not the "scrub".

If we do that then everything else will fall into place.

10. packerbacker

Take a good look at yourself before you start judging others here.